Access table value using lookup wizard; assign values; allow multiple values; trouble in the form.

I have a table with a field "Category".  The field is a lookup wizard format.  I have listed the values.  I have checked the "allow multiple values". 

In the form, we want multiple values in the field.  The control in the form, when accessed, creates a drop down box with a check box next to each value. 

There is an "OK" checkbox and a "Cancel" checkbox at the bottom of the drop down box. 

However, when one or more of the values are checked, clicking the OK checkbox does not have any effect.  When I leave the field the field stays empty.

Help if you can.  Thanks Gary

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Gary, I'm am independent adviser and will try to help.

I just tested this out and it worked fine. So I need some more info to help. What is the RowSource, bound column and column count of the lookup field?
Hope this helps,
Scott<>
Blog: http://scottgem.wordpress.com
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bound Column = 1

Row Source is list as added in the table field lookup values

Column count = 1

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I could post the table on OneDrive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK so you are using a Value List, not an existing table? What does the list look like and what is the Datatype of the field?
Hope this helps,
Scott<>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Short text is the datatype

Value list is made of category names.  

In the

field called value list, the list names look like this.

"Batters"; "Pies"; etc.  as this is a recipe table.

In the datasheet form,when the control is opened, a dialog box drops with value list items along with a check box on the left.  The check box accepts a check on one or multiple value list items.  However when the OK button is checked no action occurs.  the dialog box stays open and the OK button is highlighted. 

When I open another record category field, no text is displayed in the record that I just left.  Upon checking the "category" field in the table, I find that it is empty. 

I could send you a link to my onedrive account with the table and form.  I would really like to resolve this.

Here is a jpg of my table lookup field programming.  

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gary,

First this is not an appropriate use of a Value List. Value Lists should be used when you have a short, static list if items. You should have a condiments table where you list the condiments. And then use that table in the RowSource of your lookup field.

I see other design problems Like have 4 numbers Price fields. This is what's know as a repeating group and violates Normalization rules. You should have a subtable for prices.

But neither solves your problem. I thought that fact that Limit TO List was set to No might be the problem, but in my test it worked.

So load the sample to a cloud storage like OneDrive and post a link so I can take a look.
Hope this helps,
Scott<>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your input. 

The value list is for a short static use.  They are categories not ingredients.  In some cases the recipe may be in more than one category.  Thus the reason for the need of multiple values in the category field.

The four number price field are used in conjunction with an ancient Point of Sales system, aschii supported.  Micros 2700. 

These reasons may not be best for normalization but they work for my situation. 

However, as you said, these items do not solve my problem.  I have uploaded a very brief version of the database front end and back end for your review.  Both of these files are in my mapped network folder -  F:\PMAccess\   The back end needs to be there for the program to launch.

I left the database as a split system so that you may see exactly what I am working with.

The one drive link is: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvdwD25muh4jhVlztXnHt3i7lwtk

Thanks again for your support.

Gary

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gary,

Understood on your having to work with another system.

However I tried this on both Access 2010 and 2016. It worked with no problems on both the table and the form. So it would appear the issue is on your system. So I have a few suggestions.

1) Do a Repair on Office
2) Do a Compact and Repair on the file.
3) Do a Decompile on the file (https://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Performa...)
4) Create a new table from scratch. Test it then append record from the original table.

Please Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Hope this helps,
Scott<>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Scott.

I will do those things even though I do not think that it will help.  

Before sending you the link, I downloaded the two files from my One Drive account into my wife's Windows 10 computer running access 2016.  I created a mapped drive f:\PmAccess and transferred the files to that location.  

I opened the PM.accdb file and then opened the Category field on the frmRecipes datasheet.  I found the same problem.   It is a different computer with a different Access program.  

Again my problem looks like this.

A dialog box opens with my value list vertically arranged.  A check box to the left of each value item which accepts and displays the check in the box.  The bottom of the dialog box has two buttons; one is OK and one is Cancel.  When I check the OK button, there seems to be a color change and a highlighting indication.  The box does not close.  When I move to a different record, the box closes but there is not content in the form control or the table field.

In your tests, how is it different?

Thanks Gary

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My apologizes for taking so much of your time.  Finally I did what I should have done first.  I re created the table, query and form.  it works just fine.  Thanks gary

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 370 Applies to: