Access annoyance: Modified date

When I look at an Access Datbase file, .mdb or . aacdb, in the directory in a File Manager, the Create Date, Date Accessed, Date Modified are all the same date.  All three dates equate to the last date the database was opened, regardless whether it was modified or not. If I open up an Access database created in 2013, and last modified in 2015, then, after closing the file, all three dates will be changed to today's date and will remain that way until I open it again.

However, when I open the Access file, then click "File" at the ribbon at the top, then click the link, "View and edit database properties", I get a fly out window entitled "<file name> Properties".  Clicking on the tab, "Statistics", I can see

Created:   <the actual date created>

Modified: <the actual date accessed> regardless if I modified it.

Accessed: <the actual date accessed>

Most other MSOffice applications, Word, Excel, won't change the Modified date, unless I change something, the save on the way out.  The Create date never changes.  This makes sense.

At a minimum I would like the Create Date displaying in the File Manager directory to be just that, the date the database file was created.

This has been an annoyance for as long as I've been using MSOffice Access, at least since 2000

Can this be corrected?

That's odd. On my Win10 box, the Date Modified and Date Created are different, and reflect the dates indicated.  Date Created and Date Accessed always seem to be the same, however.

There are lots of columns you can include in the File Explorer (if that's where you're viewing it). You can right click on the column headers to see the ones most commonly used, and click the "More" button to see a LOT more columns you can show.

Scott McDaniel, Access MVP 2009 - 2019
www.infotrakker.com
scott@infotrakker.com
(803) 221-0200

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Not going to happen.

Make a copy of a database. Open the copy. Close immediately.

Then open a command window and use the "fc" utility (fc /? for help) to do a binary file compare between the two files. You will find they are different. Part of this has to do with how COM-based applications work. Not easy to work around, and certainly not a priority.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP
Phoenix, AZ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the input. 

Seems like an awful lot of work for an 'annoyance'.  Primarily I have my "File Manager" or "File Explorer" in this directory sorted by create date so that the most recently created versions of dbs are on top.  Then when I make a foray into an older database, just for a look-see without modification, this aged db pops to the top of the list which is, as I said, annoying, but not debilitating.

Seems strange that deep within the bowels of the Access database is the real create date.  But in "File Manager' (old name, I'm showing my age) MS decides to call something else "Create Date".

I'm also not sure why Access insists on incrementing the modification date when nothing was modified.

To me, this inconsistency with reality is an error that needs to be addressed.  I really wish MS would fix the display of this erroneous information in a future update. 

Are you listening MicroSquish?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Every time you open an Access database you modify it, as Tom pointed out, so File Explorer is showing the date correctly for the Access DOCUMENT (i.e your .mdb or .accdb file). The information contained within that .mdb or .accdb file would contain information on the OBJECTS inside that file (the Forms, Reports, etc), and that would of course differ from the stats of the DOCUMENT.

Access is much, much different from Word or Excel (or any of the other Office products), and does not behave in the same manner, so it's hard to say something like "Word does xyz, so Access should too".

In other words, I don't think there's anything to "fix" in this case. File Explorer is reporting the correct information, and if you want additional info about the contents of the .mdb/.accdb file you have to open that file and examine it.

Scott McDaniel, Access MVP 2009 - 2019
www.infotrakker.com
scott@infotrakker.com
(803) 221-0200

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2021 Views 2,435 Applies to: