0365 Domain Name Registration Fail because domain already registered

Hi... I've bought a domain name and tried to register it with a new 0365 business account.

I added the TXT records to the domain and it has been verified, but then an error message appears in 0365 saying the domain name is already registered by a different 0365 account.

This is a brand new domain and i have full control over the domain. I don't recognise the onmicrosoft account which is shown in the error message and i have tried to email that account, but it comes back as a delivery failure.

Surely microsoft should only let the person who can verify the domain use it.... which i have done via the TXT record verification.

i don't understand how this other company/account can use my domain name?? i can't find any solution anywhere from microsoft on how to resolve this issue either... see the error message i get

<Masked by moderator due to privacy>

Hi Mindi_LDN,

Thank you for posting your issue on Microsoft Community forum. Based on the error it seems that custom domain already registered with another Microsoft 365 tenant.

In that situation, we need to access the Microsoft 365 admin account that's currently using custom domain to remove it. If you don’t have access to that Microsoft 365 tenant/service currently using your custom domain.

Since we are forum support have limited permission to check the Office 365 admin information for your domain/tenant. However, it can check/recover your admin information only be done by our backend data protection team. To gain access to that tenant currently using custom domain, we suggest you please contact our phone support for further assistance.

Here is the official article about Global Office 365 Phone Support numbers. You may choose the country or region in which you are seeking support phone numbers. See Phone support

Your patience and understanding will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Shyamal

---------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 59 Applies to: