Display tearing on Lumia 920

Hi.

I have a Lumia 920, currently on the developer preview. It is now on Cyan, but the display has developed a tearing artifact - much like the tearing you get on PC's when the refresh rate isn't syncrhosized.

There is a video on youtube displaying this issue :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb4zN4t0Oaw

The proposed solution is to use the recovery tool, which I believe is an unacceptable solution. Coupled with this, the phone now feels very slow, and I'm not sure if it's due to the "sync" issue, or unrelated.

My OS version is 8.10.14176.243

Firmware : 3051.50009.1424.0008

H/W revision : 6.5.0.2

Let me know if you need more information.

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2018 Views 226 Applies to:

Howdy MichaelM82,

Thank you for posting on the Microsoft Support forums.

The screen tearing is something that couldn't be caused by a setting somewhere being set to the wrong thing. There isn't a setting on the phone to disable vertical syncing in the way you see on the device.

Because of that, there isn't an easy fix. It's possible that the phone is running into performance issues caused by background apps. Please make sure you don't have any apps running in the background and uninstall any possible apps that could be related. Apps like Live Lock Screen BETA are example that could cause odd performance issues. Soft resetting after doing that is also needed. Hold down the Volume Down + Power buttons for 15 seconds until the device vibrates and reboots.

If the problem remains, a hard reset of the device would be needed. If the problem still remains, the Nokia Software Recovery Tool is the next step. The software will flash the latest build of the OS and firmware to the phone to hopefully fix any possible invalid data that could be causing this.

The last step would be to contact the manufacturer of the phone in order to get hardware support since after the previous steps it most likely would be a problem that only they would be able investigate properly. In this case, Nokia would be the one to contact.

I hope this information helps to address your issue. As always if you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this post and we'll be happy to assist.

Regards,
Bryce B

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Had the same Problem after Cyan Update, Hard Reset (aka Reset to Factory settings) did solve it for me!

Backup all your Music,Pictures and stuff

Enable App/Settings synchronization and synchronize now

Then goto Settings -> Info -> Reset Device.

Remeber to best have WiFi and a Power-Cable ready for reinstallation - and you will need access to your E-Mail Account via another device, to regain your settings! If you skip this step because you cannot access your mails you will have to hard-reset again to get another chance to restore your settings...

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, unmarking this as an answer, as it does not provide an acceptable solution.

What this means, is that there is something in the developer program that results in the display of the Lumia becoming corrupted. Performing a hard reset "solves" the immediate problem, but it doesn't give me any assurances from Microsoft that the root cause of the problem has been resolved.

Will I have to perform a hard reset every time I access a new version of Windows Phone ? I would hope not, and I would hope that someone is looking into what caused it in the first place.

Again, I'm not after a workaround (they are documented, and seem to work) - I reporting this as a bug with the OS, or in the very least, the Windows Phone developer program, in the hope that an apparent software or deployment bug gets resolved.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I got the same problem as stated above.

As soon as Cyan update was available to my L920 (Developer Preview) and I installed it, this problem began.

It's just not the screen tearing, it's also the sluguish scroll performance (even on the start screen), and the ocasional app quitting when I try to launch some apps.

I've heard an hard reset does the trick, but there's some problem with the Developer Preview + Cyan update that is causing this issues to a lot of people.

Sorry this didn't help.