Windows Phone 8 devices send text messages with the wrong characters

Recently we have upgraded one of our phone lines to the new Nokia Lumia 822. The phone is a great phone but we are seeing some problems when sending text messages. Specifically, what is happening, is that sending text messages to some basic phones results in garbled text messages being received by the recipient and the message is unreadable. Normally, the message will contain squares and characters foreign to the English language.

In my troubleshooting of the Lumia 822 and Verizon I have determined the following.

1. This problem is only with basic phones and not all basic phones. Sending sms to any type of smartphone works fine.
2. When the 822 sends a text to a phone that experiences the issue the recipient will only see squares and/or characters foreign to the English language.
3. If the 822 sends a mms with picture and text to the same phone, the problem does not exist.
4. The same problem will occur with the Windows Phone HTC 8x on Verizon.
5. This issue is not being experienced by customers on other carriers with the Nokia Lumia 920.
6. Sending a text message from a Nokia Lumia 920 to a phone that we know the 822 has a problem with does not result in garbled text message. The text message from the 920 is readable.
7. When troubleshooting the problem, we were sending simple texts such as the word test and that is it. No smileys, special characters or signatures were included.
8. I have did some troubleshooting with Verizon phone support and they instructed me to get a new phone. This did not fix the problem.
9. The problem does not exist with previous versions of Windows Phone.

Numerous sources have told me to change my character set to reduced under settings and the SMS & Talk option. However, I do not have this option on the 822. Checking the Lumia 920 settings I do see that this option can be changed.

Any ideas you can provide are greatly appreciated.

|
Answer
Answer

Hello Everyone,

We worked with Verizon on this issue and we believe we have identified the root cause and have rolled out a resolution.  This issue should now be resolved, and you can send text messages without issue.

If you continue to see this issue, please let us know.

Thank you,

Eli A.

Support Delivery Manager (SDM)
Windows Phone/Xbox Music Community Manager

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2018 Views 8,005 Applies to: