SMS Backup

I'm brand new to windows phone 8 and I realize that the built-in SMS backup service only restores texts present on the phone. I need a true backup service that I had on my android phone so I can backup all communications with my ex-wife. Is there anything available on the store?

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2019 Views 23,911 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I just found an app that someone (tfadi <- I think) wrote in the Windows App Store titled

"Windows Phone Message Backup".

The app allowed me to pull down all of my backed up SMS and MMS messages from my WP8 phone to my Windows 8.1 machine, and export individual messages or entire threads to .txt files out on my OneDrive account.

That's exactly what I needed to get to my old text messages.

I just downloaded and ran it against my SMS/MMS messages.  It worked very nicely.  It has a few rough edges, but that's the beta experience.  It's from Tafidi software.

You can get the app from here.  That link will run the Windows Store app and take you to the app.

Chris Miller @anotherlab
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP since 2013
Please click "yes" if you found my answer helpful

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

There is NOW an app for that called contacts+message backup

Contacts + Message Backup app is a Settings app that enables you to make backup of all your contacts (in VCF format) and messages (SMS & MMS including attachments) to SD card (in XML format) for later restore to same or another Windows Phone.

Backup is stored in 'backup+restore' folder on the SD card.

Known Issue: Restoring a backup of messages from a dual SIM Windows Phone restores all messages to message store for the first SIM/slot.

Note: To use this app, please go to Settings on your Windows Phone.  This app will NOT appear in your list of installed apps.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/contacts-message-backup/07f078fb-cdbb-42e8-9027-25eddccbebf2

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.