Nokia lumia 920 overheat and battery issues resolved? 24 hours later and its still working fine. Rogers Canada

If this remedy resolves your heating and battery life issue, please don't forget to tag this by clicking on "Me too", hopefully from the number of votes, it will grab the attention of MS.

Ok, I am not 100% sure, but so far my Nokia Lumia 920 has been hanging on with normal battery life and no heat for the past 24 hours and I just couldn't stop myself from sharing my findings.

Before I got my 920, I was searching and reading for it's remarkable specifications, and after I got the phone I continued to search, but this time for a remedy for the overheating and battery drain issue. I have to stay, I never experienced any reboots (maybe because I don't Facebook or Tweet). I also read several sites and different blogs, were people shared their thoughts of the cause, linking it to different programs and settings. Therefore, I would like to share with you the programs and the settings that I have on my 920:

• Nokia Drive + Beta (running in the background)
  • CNN  (running in the background)
  • Weather (running in the background)
  • IMDb (running in the background)

and for the setting, with the exception of Internet Sharing which is OFF, I have the following ON:

• NFC (tap+Send)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Upload images to SkyDrive
  • Data

It might sound crazy, but have a look at my other finding for backup error:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wppersonal/backup-error/e4c15538-c5ff-4bb2-a2d0-984ade7a1e96

Here is what I would recommend to do. After installing all your programs, go to the program page and launch every single application, one after the other and accept the terms and conditions of every single application that you have installed. Especially the ones that require your permission to use your data and location services. Also go inside your Game folder and launch every single installed game. Restart and monitor your phone. After doing that, if you still feel the battery issue is still there, turn on Air Plane mode, restart then turn air Plane mode off again. I think the key is in the first step. My issue has been resolved, so I just don't know if the Air Plane mode is required or not.

I don't know the logic behind this remedy, but it worked with me (so far at least...) and if I have to give a reason, I guess some programs are still searching for our permission to use the location services and we just have to accept the terms and conditions so that it stops searching. Just a thought, I don't know and I could be wrong, but my phone is working perfectly normal so far, and I will update this post if I notice anything.

Don't forget to mark this post "Me too" if this has resolved your issues.

Discussion Info

Last updated November 21, 2019 Views 56,117 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Saad Al Haddad,

I'm not sure if you're on to something or not, but I believe you forgot one factor that I've seen happen through the years ... a new device break in period. With almost every mobile device I've owned in the last 14 years or so, almost every one of them was slightly unstable or unpredictable for anywhere from 2-5 days after I first used it. Then, it would appear to level out on it's own. Whether it was heat or battery issues, they always seemed to need a break in period.

Just something to consider!  :-)

I hope this helps!
David

Windows 10 ... upgrade your world!

Another day passed by and my phone is working fine with no heat or battery issues. I notice some people started to click on the "Me too" tag, can you also share your take if this remedy fixed your phone or not?

I actually managed to eliminate all my apps (by uninstalling one at a time and putting the unaffected one back).  I've managed to lock it down to Skype.  Since the Skype uninstall, I haven't had any battery issues at all.  However, I've installed two additional apps in the last two days and have seemed to cause battery drain once again.  Only lasted 6 hours.

I've installed yesterday:

• Microsoft Store app (via Update) - You are right about apps though, I didn't allow location service yet since the updated install.
  • Tech News Now app
  • USA Today app

I'll keep you posted to see if the issue goes away.  Thanks.

I have Skype installed and my phone is working perfectly well. Try to install Skype, launch all your apps one by one, Air Plane mode on, reboot, then Airplane off, reboot and tell us if this remedy worked or not.

Ok, it has been some 5 days or so, and my phone has been working normally. In fact, I have a bit more to share, that may confirm this remedy. I installed Groupon, an application that uses both location and the compass sensors. The moment I installed the application, the phone started to heat and the battery started to drain. I restarted the phone, same problem. So I lunched the application, accepted the use of my location, and calibrated the phone, restarted. Then I started to launch apps one by one, enabled the Air Plane mode, restarted the phone, turned the air plane off so all services started to run back (wifi, phone, data, Bluetooth, etc...). Magically, the phone went back to normal without any heat and the battery stopped bleeding.

Now, I am more confident this remedy works and I hope MS will try to resolve this issue.

I am unfortunately still experiencing heating and battery life issues. I've uninstalled Skype, opened every app and attempted the air plane restart without any success, my phone lasts several hours before needing a charge and heats up if I try to watch one YouTube video. I have tap+send, Bluetooth, data and location services off, I have done a factory reset and still the phone gets extremely warm and my battery life disappears. Are there any other ideas of how to fix this because I really don't want to send in my phone for two weeks and pay an administration fee to Rogers for a problem which isn't my fault.

Also, is everyone who is experiencing the heating and battery issue on Rogers or are there people outside of Canada with this issue too? I seem to only be finding people on Rogers complaining about this issue.
I am unfortunately still experiencing heating and battery life issues. I've uninstalled Skype, opened every app and attempted the air plane restart without any success, my phone lasts several hours before needing a charge and heats up if I try to watch one YouTube video. I have tap+send, Bluetooth, data and location services off, I have done a factory reset and still the phone gets extremely warm and my battery life disappears. Are there any other ideas of how to fix this because I really don't want to send in my phone for two weeks and pay an administration fee to Rogers for a problem which isn't my fault.

Also, is everyone who is experiencing the heating and battery issue on Rogers or are there people outside of Canada with this issue too? I seem to only be finding people on Rogers complaining about this issue.

Hi Skittledude.  Is there any particular apps that are running requiring "Location Services"?  Can you do me a favor and list the following items for me.  I'm trying to help to see if there are any apps that are not kosher that aren't WP8 ready:

Go to Settings --> Applications --> Background Tasks

List the apps that are "allowed"

And also list all the apps that are installed on your phone, including Nokia Apps, Emails, etc.

I managed to make mine go away, even after installing Skype it seems to be working ok now.

Hey MOUJACK888,

I forgot to mention that I have blocked all background tasks but the ones which did run in the background prior to me turning them off would be as follows:
BBC
CNN
Nokia Drive
Halo Waypoint
Canadian Developer Connection
Weather Network
Weather Flow
Metrotube
Steam Friends Lite

I previously blocked everything except BBC, Metrotube and Weather Flow. Now, because I'm really trying to fix this heat problem, I have everything blocked although that doesn't seem to be helping.

The apps I have on my phone are as follows:
1800PocketPC
Alarms
AllPhoneNews
App Highlights (Nokia)
AppFlow App Discovery
BBC News Mobile
Calculator
Camera
Calender
Canadia Developer Connection
Canadian Living
CBC News
Cinemagraph
CNN
Creative Studio
Facebook
Flashlight-X
Games
Google Mail
Google Mail (2)
Help+Tips
Hockey Tracker
Hotmail
Hotmail (2)
Hotmail (3)
Internet Explorer
Manga Reader
Maps
Messaging
Metrotube
Mini Pig Song
Montreal Canadians Hockey
Music+Videos
Mt Account (Rogers)
Night Stand Clock Lite
Nokia Care
Nokia City Lens
Nokia Drive
Nokia Maps
Nokia Transport
Office
OneNote
Panorama
Poeple
Phone
Photos
Piano 7
Pip-Boy Radio
Pocket Recorder
Prime Ministers of Canada
Settings
SkyDrive
Smart Shoot
Steam Friends Lite
Store
Suggestion Box
Twitter
Wallet
Weather Flow
Where's Timmy
Wikipedia
WP Tools

After typing all that all out, I have many more apps than I had thought. I'll try removing a few and seeing if that helps but my Phone is heating up when I add photos from my computer and even heats up in air plane mode. I tend to play a bit of Survivalcraft on my phone as I did with my Lumia 800. My 920 heats up the most when I play this game to the point where it can actually hurt to hold it. I tested it out by playing the game on both phones with everything off (data, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) and my 920 became considerably warmer in a much shorter time frame than my 800.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this, I truly appreciate it.

Hey MOUJACK888,

I forgot to mention that I have blocked all background tasks but the ones which did run in the background prior to me turning them off would be as follows:
BBC
CNN
Nokia Drive
Halo Waypoint
Canadian Developer Connection
Weather Network
Weather Flow
Metrotube
Steam Friends Lite

I previously blocked everything except BBC, Metrotube and Weather Flow. Now, because I'm really trying to fix this heat problem, I have everything blocked although that doesn't seem to be helping.

1800PocketPC
Alarms
AllPhoneNews
App Highlights (Nokia)
AppFlow App Discovery
BBC News Mobile
Calculator
Camera
Calender
Canadian Living
CBC News
Cinemagraph
CNN
Creative Studio
Facebook
Flashlight-X
Games
Google Mail
Google Mail (2)
Help+Tips
Hockey Tracker
Hotmail
Hotmail (2)
Hotmail (3)
Internet Explorer
Manga Reader
Maps
Messaging
Metrotube
Mini Pig Song
Music+Videos
Mt Account (Rogers)
Night Stand Clock Lite
Nokia Care
Nokia City Lens
Nokia Drive
Nokia Maps
Nokia Transport
Office
OneNote
Panorama
Poeple
Phone
Photos
Piano 7
Pip-Boy Radio
Pocket Recorder
Settings
SkyDrive
Smart Shoot
Steam Friends Lite
Store
Suggestion Box
Twitter
Wallet
Weather Flow
Where's Timmy
Wikipedia
WP Tools

After typing all that all out, I have many more apps than I had thought. I'll try removing a few and seeing if that helps but my Phone is heating up when I add photos from my computer and even heats up in air plane mode. I tend to play a bit of Survivalcraft on my phone as I did with my Lumia 800. My 920 heats up the most when I play this game to the point where it can actually hurt to hold it. I tested it out by playing the game on both phones with everything off (data, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) and my 920 became considerably warmer in a much shorter time frame than my 800.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this, I truly appreciate it.

Hi there... please see below, line by line.  To resolve issues, I recommend uninstalling some of the app you don't use.  Some apps will run in background regardless.  It's recommended that you turn off all "push notifications" or "background tasks" on CPU intensive games.  Halo Way Point.

BBC (OK)
CNN (OK)
Nokia Drive (Uninstall Nokia Drive completely, reboot, reinstall, launch app, and reboot again)
Halo Waypoint (Turn off)
Canadian Developer Connection (Turn off)
Weather Network (Uninstall for now, use the Microsoft Weather)
Weather Flow (Uninstall for now)
Metrotube (Turn off, don't really need it)
Steam Friends Lite (Turn off)

1800PocketPC
Alarms (OK)
AllPhoneNews
App Highlights (Nokia) (OK)
AppFlow App Discovery
BBC News Mobile (OK)
Calculator (OK)
Camera (OK)
Calender (OK)
Canadian Living
CBC News
Cinemagraph (OK)
CNN (OK)
Creative Studio (OK)
Facebook (OK, turn off push notifications and toasts)
Flashlight-X (Try Flashlight XT instead)
Games (Which games do you have?)
Google Mail (Sorry, I think this might be the culprit, there's a bug on WP8 with sync issues)
Google Mail (2) (Gmail is going to disable ActiveSync next month.  I recommend you move to outlook.com.  They are always trying to do things to make it inconvenient for users on other platforms.  Change to Outlook.com and forward your emails to the new email address)
Help+Tips  (OK)
Hockey Tracker
Hotmail (OK)
Hotmail (OK)
Hotmail (OK) - My recommendation is to turn off push sync and set a scheduled sync instead)
Internet Explorer (OK)
Manga Reader (OK)
Maps (OK)
Messaging (OK, is Facebook chat turned on?)
Metrotube (OK)
Mini Pig Song
Music+Videos (OK)
Mt Account (Rogers) - If you don't use it, I'd remove it)
Night Stand Clock Lite - (Questionable)
Nokia Care (OK)
Nokia City Lens (OK)
Nokia Drive (Uninstall and do a fresh install, reboot)
Nokia Maps (OK)
Nokia Transport (OK)
Office (OK)
OneNote (OK)
Panorama (OK)
People (OK)
Phone (OK)
Photos (OK)
Piano 7
Pip-Boy Radio
Pocket Recorder
Settings (OK)
SkyDrive (OK)
Smart Shoot (OK)
Steam Friends Lite
Store (OK)
Suggestion Box (OK)
Twitter (Not sure, try a different client?  Tweetro?)
Wallet (OK)
Weather Flow (Questionable)
Where's Timmy (Questionable)
Wikipedia (OK)
WP Tools (Questionable)

The ones, I can't confirm, perhaps try to uninstall them and not use them for the next few days?

1. Do a reboot after all the uninstall and reinstall of software.

2. Disable some of the background tasks.  (the ones that are OK should be fine running)

3. Then turn on airplane mode and reboot again.

4. Turn off airplane mode after the reboot.

To be honest.  I think Gmail is truly the culprit here.  You should get a new outlook account and set the gmail to forward all the emails to your new account instead.  For testing purpose at least.  Have you read the article on WPCentral? 

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413283,00.asp

http://www.wpcentral.com/google-problem-windows-phone

http://www.wpcentral.com/forums-how-completely-switch-gmail-outlook