Nokia Lumia 928 freezes randomly

Hi guys

I've been using my new Lumia 928 for a week now and there's an issue that has driven me mad for the past days.

The phone touch interface stops responding properly with no apparent reason. I cant isolate the issue on a particular app, it just happens randomly.

The phone itself seems to keep running (if it happens when a call comes in, the phone keeps ringing but I cant answer it). The only solution I found so far is to reset the device (power + vol down).

The phone is new and I have only downloaded a handful of apps (the basics like Viber, Whatsapp, etc.)

I have googled around but found no answer so far. Has anyone had this issue? Is this a Windows Phone 8 known issue? right now I'm running the latest version (OS version: 8.0.10211.204, Firm revision: 1532.5957.1318.3021)

Thanks!!!

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2018 Views 6,138 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have had issues like this (once in two to three days), when the phone touch becomes unresponsive or outright stops responding, unless I lock the phone with the lock button and then swipe it to unlock it.

Since I am always able to Swipe the screen up to unlock it, I think it has to do with specific apps and not the phone itself. The only thing I can think of is if you can remember, when this issue started and what app did you install around that time. If you can remember that particular, remove that app. see if there is any difference.

Or else, you can always reset the phone.

Exciting times lie ahead of us! 510, 520, 820, Acer W4 & 1520 (the most awesome phone in the world)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Jay!

The thing is that my lock screen also stops (or becomes sloppy) responding.

All the hard buttons work like a charm but the interface just drops dead (or drunk, he)

That's why I guess that this has nothing to do with an app, I think I could just hard reset it just to see if something changes but as I read in a few forums (nokia support included) this is a widely spread issue that happens even after resetting the device :(

I just moved to Windows phone from Android because of the random bugs. I don't want drop Win phone for an Iphone, I hate Apple...

Sorry this didn't help.

Give it a go with a phone reset. I am sure, it will take care of things. Worst comes to worst, do that and get a replacement. I don't know about other forums but on this windows forum (where I have been hanging out on a regular basis for a while now) I have not comes across many touch response issues

Do a phone reset. If no go, just ask for a replacement. and, update this thread as that would help me, help others if this ends up becoming an emerging issue.

Exciting times lie ahead of us! 510, 520, 820, Acer W4 & 1520 (the most awesome phone in the world)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Jay

Just before resetting I have a question. It took me a while to import a re arrange all my contacts to the windows phone fashion (quite nice btw) and also to set up accounts, etc.

Are those settings saved in my live profile? Will I have them back as soon as I log into my main account?

Thanks!

Ps. how do I mark this thread as "would help"? I'm new around here!

Sorry this didn't help.

Visit people.live.com and login using the same account you are using on the phone. Whatever is there will be directly synced back once your phone comes back from reset and you choose to do a restore from back up.

If you have enabled full backup in settings - back up, then your messages will come back, along with the list of apps. You will have to download the apps though. If you find something is missing, you can always login to windowsphone.com and check your purchase history and download anything that is missing.

Since you are the owner of this question, you will find an option to 'MARK AS ANSWER' on any of the replies like any one of mine in this thread. same goes FOUND THIS HELPFUL which is to the top right corner of each reply on this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/928-screen-unrespsonsive/td-p/1926018

Lately though after reset, it will still be frozen... vol down + power and just power hold down.

Still seems to be random, cannot pinpoint condition as to why and when it happens.  

Always seems to be during a "high heat" scenario... Navigating in the car, charging phone, in my pocket in 100 degree heat.  I have never had it just happen, sititng in an Air conditioned house, not plugged in.

Sorry this didn't help.

This could possibly be one of those emerging issues.

I would strongly recommend speaking to a nokia care rep and ask them to escalate the matter to their engineers. In my experience, nokia care has been extremely helpful and professional.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, now I´ve tried everything..

Reset (pwr button held down for 10 secs), Soft Reset (pwr button + vol down) and hard reset (3 times) without any results.

The phone keeps freezing randomly like if a process gets stuck in the background and jams the touch interface.

Does the phone have a debug mode? something that could tell me what is happening in the moment the phone stops responding?

This is happening 5 to 10 times a day, and as you can imagine it drives me mad!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm watching this post.... new Nokia 928 froze so bad, Verizon shipped me a replacement after 16 days.  Now, 2 weeks later, just starting this morning, replacement 928 is randomly freezing as well.

Its frustrating when a call comes in and you can't answer it or you make a call and the other party can't hear you.

I don't have or use many apps at all.

Soft resets and, sometimes, just waiting made the difference today.  I'll be extremely disappointed and will seek a different phone if this is a recurring problem.

I'd welcome any pointers from Microsoft or Nokia.... Verizon was clueless  ("try taking out the battery")...

Sorry this didn't help.

This started happening to me today, and now nothing will unlock my phone. this is totally unacceptable. I am still in the return period. Wanted to give Windows phones a chance, was willing to put up with some missing apps, but right now my phone is a brick. Back to Android for me.

Sorry this didn't help.