WP8 Pairing Issues with Car's Bluetooth

There are a lot of reports on various web sites about WP8 phones having problems connecting to car bluetooth systems (as well as other devices, but I 'm concentrating on cars).  I have a 2006 Audi A8L.  My Lumia 920 will pair, but no contacts will sync and I cannot access any phone functions from the car's MMI system.  Everything works perfectly with my wife's Lumia 900.

Many, many others are having the same and similar issues. There is a rumor that this is an issue with WP8 and Microsoft has a fix to be released.  Can we get confirmation that a) this is indeed a known issue, b) it's being looked at, c) we have a fix soon?  I love the phone and I love WP8. If you ask me to choose between an $80K car and a $100 phone, the phone is going to lose.

If there is no communication from Microsoft about this issue by Friday, the phone is going back to AT&T and I will get the Samsung S3. I'm not looking for a fix by Friday. I just want to know it's being being worked on and there will be a fix for it.

Question Info

Last updated August 11, 2018 Views 32,317 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am having a similar issue. Related anyways. Lumia 900 worked like a beast with my trucks Kenwood DNX 6990HD Navstation + BT. Everything worked perfect now I have the Lumia 920 and I have these problems:

No metadata (title/artist) will be displayed on the screen.
The skip and back button do not work at all.
Autoplay when connected doesnt work as it did with the Lumia 900.
And for some unknown reason, there are only 3 options when i get a text message... "Call" or "Im done," no reply... The whole point of having a hands free system is so that you dont have to reply... How are they going to get rid of the reply option...?

I believe that these are related to missing bluetooth profiles. SOmebody in another forum compared the bluetooth profiles between the Lumia 900 and the 920 and the Lumia 920 has about half of the bluetooth profiles as the Lumia 900. 

This issue along w/ all of my music not working because of the DRM issue is causing me to become very frustrated and dissatisfied with my recent 600.00 purchase... 

Edit: Now the reply option is there. This is odd as there have been no updates either way. I assume that the service uses bing voice so there may have been a back end change to remedy this issue. However no change with the other issues I am having.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Im also having problems pairing the Lumia 920 with a 2012 Honda Oddyssey. My vehicle pairs with the phone but losses the signal every few seconds. My other Windows Phones have no problems pairing with this same vehicle. Lumia 900 and Samsung Focus.

The phone might have a bad bluetooth I am off to the ATT store to get a replacement.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been having similar issues with a 920 and my Lexus LS460.  If I dial from the phone it will connect and hold the call.  When I hang up, it will not disconnect.  If I use speech command to dial, it will find the person/number, dial and immediately drop the call.

In the middle of a call the bluetooth will drop out, leaving the call connected and then reconnect soem of the time but not shift the call from the phone to the car.

Some comment from MSFT are appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

The phone might have a bad bluetooth I am off to the ATT store to get a replacement.

I had to get a new Lumia 920 from AT&T because mine locked up.  Still have the same issues. It will pair with my car, but it won't sync a thing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar here. I have a 2010 Toyota Prius and when I use voice to connect, the call starts then disconnects. Very unsatisfied with this issue as it makes it impossible to use the bluetooth and voice commands at the same time.

For Nokia and MSFT to miss on something like this on a product launch is like dropping your new phone in the toilet. :-(

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. It does not pair on either of my cars(2007 BMW, 2010 Volvo). On one car, I could hear voice through car stereo but no phone book :(. It is so painful to deal with this. I will return this Nokia 920 to AT&T if I do not hear any news from Microsoft/Nokia.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having same issues. Lumia 900 works well with my 2006 BMW E60, 920 does not.

The user forum at Nokia is growing larger and larger with users reporting the same issue, but no response from Nokia.
Someone is watching that forum because some user posts  end up being deleted, especially the post by the guy who said  that the problem is with Windows Phone 8 and not Nokia and that  Microsoft is supposedly working on a solution, so Nokia is aware of the problem but keeps silent, so does the Microsoft.
Users on the  other hand are abandoning  both Windows phone and Nokia by millions. 

Brilliant.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here my 2007 BMW 328xi fails to work with Bluetooth using my Lumia 920. It says it's connected but none of the Bluetooth functionality works. Both my Lumia 900 and Samsung Focus worked fine. Is there a fix that's going to be released for this? Otherwise I will need to return my phone.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here with a 2006 BMW 335i and the HTC 8X ... Symptoms as per others, phone and car suggest a connection has been made after pairing, but no functionality is available... previous WP7 devices work flawlessly...

Sorry this didn't help.

HTC 8X users are reporting the  same problem.

This  suggests  that this is a Windows Phone 8 Problem and not Nokia or HTC or it now looks like Samsung will join them as well.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpnetwork/htc-8x-bluetooth-cannot-pair-with-2007-bmw-x5-has/41a71cc6-44d9-46ce-b6bd-dd00f87e4b73?msgId=9655536f-8b8d-41c0-9ed9-b00acdf9988d

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.