WiFi reconnecting bug

Hello,

I can connect to our work WiFi fine but the next day when I come to work it won't automatically reconnect (after entering my PIN), it keeps trying but I have to enter my username and password again. This appears to be a bug in WP8 (HTC 8X) because on my old WP7 phone it would reconnect fine daily.

Rebooting my phone etc. doesn't help. Our WiFi type is WPA2-Enterprise, AES, PEAP.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2018 Views 904 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Same problem here! (See my other thread http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpnetwork/intermittent-wifi-problem-with-peapms-chapv2/762a239b-11c7-4c3c-8cf5-a3588a345167 )

I can also reconfigure the WiFi network settings from scratch and it connects perfectly fine. However, after the phone disconnects and connects a few times (even during the same day, or different days) it becomes unable to do so. Recently I have found that I have to delete the configuration from the list of networks and re-add the network from scratch.

I notice that I am using certificate validation. But that is what I personally intend to do for security reasons.

So this problem is widespread it seems. Any fix coming from Microsoft for this issue?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This seems like a common problem with both phone 7.5 and 8. I usually, turn off Wifi in settings and turn it back. That seems to work. Though I have to admit, I have to do the off and on thing at least once a day to get things working.

Exciting times lie ahead of us! 510, 520, 820, Acer W4 & 1520 (the most awesome phone in the world)

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, this is frankly not a modus operandi for the future.. Today I had to reconfigure it three times before it finally settled down. It seems to me that if WiFi is kept on (say because of an app) then things become somewhat stable.

However, I have also found that sometimes when going around the building - and thus the WiFi connection is supposed to roam between access points - sometimes it fails to roam successfully, sometimes it is fine.

Unlike the original poster I have the Lumia 920 still running the stock RTM WP8 version. I hope someone can fix this issue in the near future as it is very annoying. Specially in my case as I have almost no cell coverage of any sort in my office (supposedly due to physical properties of the building), so reliable WiFi is a must!

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you about this not being a way to the future. I have also noticed that if some app is using the Wi-Fi continuously (like when I am playing music over Tunein Radio), the Wi-Fi has never disconnected. seeing how MS never fixed the Wi-Fi issue on phone 7, which has been out in the market for more than a year and half, and now the same issue on phone 8, I doubt if this bug (or is it by design?) will ever be fixed :(

I know it consumes more battery, but I simply leave both data and Wi-Fi when at home. That way, I won't go offline on Skype and FB, and when I have to download something, it happens over Wi-Fi and not consume precious bytes on my mobile data plan.  

Exciting times lie ahead of us! 510, 520, 820, Acer W4 & 1520 (the most awesome phone in the world)

Sorry this didn't help.

I am now on Portico (version 8.0.10211.204 updated just yesterday) and the experience is even worse! Despite having the new always on WiFi, the phone cannot roam successfully at all. Every time I move from one access point to another, it loses connection and then does not successfully reconnect at all. What the **** is going on?!? This is beyond annoying! I have had to input my credentials every single time today as I move in and out of my office. Sometimes even when not moving out! PLEASE FIX THIS!

Sorry this didn't help.

I can connect to our work WiFi fine but the next day when I come to work it won't automatically reconnect (after entering my PIN), it keeps trying but I have to enter my username and password again. This appears to be a bug in WP8 (HTC 8X) because on my old WP7 phone it would reconnect fine daily.

Rebooting my phone etc. doesn't help. Our WiFi type is WPA2-Enterprise, AES, PEAP.

Me too. I have exactly the same problem trying to make a connection to eduroam at my University. I don't recall there being any problems with WP7, but WP8 (even post Portico) on both the Lumia 920 and HTC 8X exhibits the symptoms you describe: first connection OK, but won't reconnect - I have to enter all the credentials all over again.

I believe this is a bug in WP8.

The wifi network is WPA2 802.1x, PEAP, MSCHAPv2. I think the issue is that WP8 does not support PEAP properly. This is a pretty serious and is leading me to believe I'll need to trot off and get another phone.

Note this is not the same as other wifi connection problems described in this thread. It is not solved by switching wifi on and off, and was not found in WP7.

Sorry this didn't help.

I Have a Lumnia 820 with similar problems.
In the normal Windows versions it is possible to configure PEAP without Microsoft validation eg Cisco PEAP with user-name and password.

This option is not available in the WP8 config, therefor it will only use MS-CHAPv2 with certificate validation.

Is it possible to connect WiFi Networks with "inner GTC termination" enabled without a certificate validation but normal UN and PassWord?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, but with NOKIA Lumia 920.

Using WPA2-enterprise wifi connection...   it connects to wifi just fine, but next day when i come to work it wont connect, the wifi icon "spinning".   when i tap the wpa2 name it comes up with a blank user/pass, and i have to reenter both user and pass - then it connects to wifi again just fine.   next time i leave the area and come back, same thing, no reconnect, icon "spinning"... 

All I have to do is leave the area and come back, and the phone will no longer connect to this wifi point.

it is almost like it is forgetting the user/pass, or something.   because the user/pass fields are blank/forgotten when i tap the Wifi access point again.

please fix this microsoft!  not cool.   This was happening both before and after the latest azure update.  WP7 never had this problem. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have read the threads but do not see a resolution.  I have this issue with a Lumia 928.  We use Cisco access points at work managed by a controller.  Work is the only place I have this problem.  At home or other public places I reconnect without an issue.

If there is a resolution out there please let me know.  Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi HBF333,

Thank you for posting on forum.

I understand that you have an issue with reconnecting to your company Wi-Fi with your Nokia Lumia 928.

Could you let us know if you have updated your phone to Developer Preview (updated to 8.1 OS version)?

Also, did you have contact your Wi-Fi controller regarding that issue?

Thanks for your contribution to the forums!

Kind Regards,

Michal TR

Sorry this didn't help.