Lumia920 does not use wifi data even when connected

Hi,

I want to report a bug on WP8 on Lumia 920.

I have noted that my data usage was superb this month just when I acquired my Lumia 920, surprise came to me when I saw my data usage of 2.5 GB in only 20 days! and I hardly ever reached 1 GB monthly on my past smartphone.

So I decided to make some test and make sure what was happening, I found that WP8 does not rely entirely on wifi data connections, but also goes through cellular data connections (randomly??) while still connected to wifi network.

I was able to download big files from the store from my cellular connection, which only are available when the phone is wifi connected.

This issue seems to happen when the wifi signal is low or when the broadband connection from the wifi gateway is unreliable, so the phone automatically switchs internally to cellular connection while maintaining the wifi connected.

Also I have applications that connect from my WP8 to my Win8 PC through wifi and sometimes(randomly) they couldn't connect because if this.

The only workaround so far is to manually disconnect the cellular data while connected to wifi.

Please provide a fix for this.

Thanks.

Answer
Answer

Hello felart,

Thanks for posting on the Forum.

The issue is related to the wifi connection.

If the connection or speed is low and interrupts, then the windows Phone changes over to data connection or the faster speed.

The only 2 options are increase the rooter range, that might cause a bit slower speed but will increase the range. (5 ghz if the router supports that, contact the internet provider to clarify)

or deactivate the the data connection.

unfortunately that are the only options.

you could try a reset of the Phone that should solve the issue.

Best Regards,

Vasile M.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2018 Views 2,430 Applies to: