Zune playlists not syncing to my WP8 (Lumia 920)!

Since my Windows Phone 7 required it, I migrated everything over from iTunes to Zune. I just upgraded to the Lumia 920, fired up the new Windows Phone Desktop app (I'm using Win7 Pro on my desktop), and while it sync'd the music files, all the playlists transfered over empty. For each one it says (0) songs. I just tried created a new playlist in Zune, and sure enough, it sycn'd empty. I also tried copying a .zpl playlist directly to the Playlist folder on the phone, and that doesn't show up on the phone at all. It seems that the phone needs .pla files instead. Does anyone know what the XML is supposed to look like for a .pla file? Maybe I can write a converter. I'm adding my voice to the "what the **** was Microsoft thinking" category when it decided to completely eliminate over the air syncing (ala Zune and WP7) for WP8. That I have to actually think, for even one second, when I buy a song in the marketplace using my phone that it isn't just going to be on my computer is such a step backwards. Its fine to promote Skydrive syncing, but unless Microsoft wants to start coughing up a 100+ gig for everyone, it's going to be long term critical that the stuff on our phones syncs effortlessly with the stuff on our desktops and tablets.

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2018 Views 3,586 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Okay I am one of the many majorly disappointed loyal Windows Phone customers that moved to WP8 to realize the the playlist management I loved in Zune has been replaced with a mediocre set of apps that don't work well at all.

I have however found a way of adding/deleting/reorganizing songs in playlists on WP8 using Windows Explorer.

1. Open your phone in My Computer
  2. Navigate to music
  3. Ensure you have hidden files/folders displayed
  4. Open the playlists folder 
  5. Open an existing playlist then drag that to the side
  6. Now browse through the music on your phone through windows explorer dragging whatever song you want into the playlist and using the obvious navigational buttons to delete and reorganize it.
  7. Then click ok when finished 
  8. Check phone and see your updated playlist
It isn't the nicest way of doing things but works perfectly with all songs (yes including XBM songs). You may have to disconnect and reconnect phone if you download a new song while connected for the computer to recognize it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

If anyone is still curious about this, I found an easy way, for me at least, to sync your Zune playlists to your windows 8 phone (mine is a Nokia Lumia 920) with the Windows Phone metro app.

-I went into the File Explorer and navigated into my Music library, then into my playlist folder.

-Next I highlighted just one of my playlists and Right Clicked on it.

-In its Properties, I changed the way it opens the file. This is the key. Where it says Opens with: set it to open with Microsoft Zune rather than whatever it was before. This will change all the files in the playlists folder to do the same.

-After that I went back into my Windows Phone metro app and told it to sync the folder called playlists (this is the folder we just changed). Everything synced up just fine.

I don't know if this method will work for everyone, but it worked for me and I thought I was worth sharing. Best of luck to you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.