WP8 volume bug (appears that multiple phones (makes/models) are affected)

Sorry, couldn't find any place to post this. It seems that there is, at least on my phone, a semi-reproducible bug that stops the volume control from working.

Steps to reproduce (from clean phone, ie. just freshly booted, no remnant IE tabs):

1. Turn on phone.

2. Open music+videos (Xbox music) app. Play a song that is locally stored on the phone.

3. While the music is still playing, open up an Internet Explorer tab and navigate to youtube (m.youtube.com).

4. Play an HD movie file. I played Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" preview #9. Your previously playing music will stop playing.

5. After a few seconds, stop the youtube video playback by hitting the Windows button.

6. Go back to the music+videos app. Play a song that is locally stored on the phone.

On times that the bug shows up, the music plays at a fixed volume. Using the volume rocker will cause the volume display to increase and decrease, but the actual volume will not change unless you change the volume to 00/30, at which point the sound will mute. If the bug doesn't show up, repeat steps 3 through 6 until the issue shows up. You don't need to reboot in between attempts.

Interestingly, volume control still works if you go back to the youtube video. The issue shows up when using the loudspeaker as well as when using headphones. If nobody else can reproduce it, we can start trying to figure out if it's certain music file types or something that cause it. Diagnostic information below:

Model: NOKIA Lumia 920
Carrier: AT&T

OS Version: 8.0.9903.10
Firmware revision number: 1232.2109.1242.1001
Hardware revision number: 1.0.0.0
Radio software version: 1.0.202041.3
Chip SOC version: 8960

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2018 Views 11,199 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Well my friend bought a Lumia 810 and wasn't able to reproduce the problem, so I've reset my phone to see if the issue persists. I'll report back in a few weeks.

On a tangential note, on WP7, when you started playing a youtube video while music was running, the music would be paused. You could then resume the music after the video was done. In WP8, the music disappears an needs to be restarted. Is this designed behavior?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The issue returned. Though I seriously doubt it's a hardware issue, I'll try swapping out my 920 at an ATT store. Can anybody reproduce this issue? Tell me if I need to re-explain anything.

**EDIT: I don't know why this post was marked as an answer, because it isn't. As of 9 Jan 2013, this problem is still not answered. Mod, please unmark this as the answer.**           

Sorry this didn't help.

Using a new Lumia 920. I specifically did not back up any settings because I didn't want to contaminate the new phone. The issue persists. So it definitely seems like there is an issue. Can I please get some help?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got the same issue on both mine and my wife's Lumia 920.  I am not sure of the actual steps to reproduce it, but when it happens I have to reboot to fix it.

It seems to only be WP Store music, both samples and purchases that have the problem.  If I try something else like Nokia Music or DS Audio, they work fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm facing the same issue on my Lumia 920, and it is not just after opening youtube.
It seems to occur when you open any alternative music source.
It is frustrating and is true for headphones as well as speaker.
Everywhere apart from Xbox music, the volume control seems to work fine.
Only the Xbox music gets stuck at one low level of volume which  is barely audible to extent that once I though it was not playing at all.

Also to be noted, This issue is prevalent on a lot of devices looking at the posts in several forums online.
Definitely a bug to be primarily focused on. It was embarrassing when I tried to show off my phone's capabilities to my friend and it just failed on me.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think the issue is simpler than described, or perhaps I am seeing something related. When I run either the Nokia music player (my music, mix radio etc) or the MS one (branded as Xbox, with music, videos, store etc) I have the same issue with the volume control. I can change it to a new setting, say 25/30, and this appears on screen. The actual playback volume does not change at this time and obviously that can get pretty annoying.

Note that this happens with normal mp3 audio playback, no particular files and no previous action like playing YouTube or anything like that described above. Simple and reproducible every time. I have found a way to make the change happen, if you use the forward or back buttons to skip to another track then the change happens immediately.

That sounds like a good workaround until you consider that most of my playback is of audio books. Depending on their packaging, individual tracks can be anything up to 80 minutes. So jumping around tracks and getting back to where you were is seriously impractical. You are in the train, find the noise levels rising near a station and push the volume up so you can still hear the content. Volume does not change, so you have to jump tracks and then spend a couple of minutes trying to get back to where you were. Its all becomes a real hassle.

It seems pretty plain this is an OS bug unless its been caused by something that Nokia have added. I certainly hope its fixed soon as this is spoiling my use of what is otherwise a brilliant phone and OS.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been having the same issue.

The thing with this bug is that it turns up only if you quit YouTube using the back key without pausing your video first. If you pause your video before hitting the back key, volume control stays intact. But if you don't, you cannot change the volume on audio files stored on the phone, irrespective of the player you use to play those files (Xbox music or Nokia music). Surprisingly, the volume control still works with stored video files (odd), other audio streaming apps and even YouTube.

A simple restart fixes the issue. But it is still a bug.

Also, the Youtube page seems to hang often. buggy.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same issue, not sure if I accidentally did the steps above at some point, but have noticed when I am playing a song from my music library and adjust the volume rocker the volume dispaly changes but the sound does not unless I go to 00 in which case it mutes. Anyone know how to fix this?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just had this same issue on my 920. Volume would change sounds like keyboard and alerts, but didn't affect music. Restarting fixed it for now, but it's annoying.

Sorry this didn't help.

If it is any solace to those of you who own a Nokia phone I too am expereincing this glitch on my HTC X8. Like everyone already mentioned the volume remains locked on Xbox music if I switch between youtube (this is the only media app I've tried). From what I can gather the glitch occurs if you use the back button while watching media (e.g., a video on youtube) without first pausing it. If I pause the media first I can go back and/or exit the app without any problems. If however I use the back button while the media is still playing the volume controls in Xbox music will remain locked at alow volume no matter how high the volume is turned up.

Chalk it up as yet another problem with Xbox music.

Sorry this didn't help.