Why wont my old zune pass downloaded music transfer to my lumia 920?

Lumia 920
Carrier ATT
United States

Here is how the problem presented itself for me. 
I had the Lumia 900 for about a year now. I have over 1000 songs downloaded via zune pass (not purchased). My PC is windows 7. Thursday I sync all my songs between my Windows 7 pc and my lumia 900. I bought lumia 920 on Friday. Plugged it in, downloaded new windows phone app for my Windows 7 pc. I used that program to sync all of my music to my shiny new lumia 920. All my music that I had now will not play on my 920 because of the DRM message. 

"We are unable to confirm the media usage rights for this content."

All music that I ***PURCHASED*** works just fine because i purchased the DRM rights as opposed to "renting" them w/ my zune pass subscription. 

Music that i have downloaded directly to my new lumia 920 from the xbox music store will play perfectly fine. Issue is w/ old content from my pc.

I am using my correct and ONLY microsoft account. The lumia 920 is a registered device, however, my windows 7 pc is not because it is windows 7 and there is no xbox music app for download on windows 7. I do not know if that is the issue, but if it is, that is a massive problem.

Steps I have done to try to fix it.

Deleted all music and resynced: No change
Deleted the Windows phone app on my windows 7 pc and started all over again: No change
Deleted my Lumia 900 off of my registered devices: No change

Please assist in remedying this issue. I am aware other people are having similar issues, if not the same. 

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2018 Views 1,957 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I will also say, the steps about importing a playlist are specific to Windows 8.  If you only have Windows 7, skip the steps and go straight to the Windows 7 version of the WindowPhone for Desktop app.
I'm Phil..
Google Pixel 2XL
Apple iPhone X
Surface Book 16gb
Surface Pro 4 16gb
Some one help you out? Tell them with a Helpful Vote!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I will also say, the steps about importing a playlist are specific to Windows 8.  If you only have Windows 7, skip the steps and go straight to the Windows 7 version of the WindowPhone for Desktop app.

Ok, I was able to get a Windows 7 laptop today.

Installed Zune software and logged in with my old zune tag.

Downloaded music and created a playlist unique for this test.

Closed Zune

downloaded and installed the Windows phone desktop app on my Windows 7 laptop.

Allowed the utility to sync whatever it needed to do.

The Zune playlist DID show up in the playlist list.

I selected it

Sync'd My Lunia 920 with that playlist.

Confirmed the playlist was available on my WP8.

Tried to play the music ....fail, with message you list above

Removed the Sync cable and tried to play music...fail, with message you list above

restarted my phone....

Tried to play music....succeed. All sync'd tracks play with no message. so,

from my point of view, this works as expected. I wish it were more graceful, but its v1....but it works...for me

I'm Phil..
Google Pixel 2XL
Apple iPhone X
Surface Book 16gb
Surface Pro 4 16gb

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I was able to get a Windows 7 laptop today.

Installed Zune software and logged in with my old zune tag.

Downloaded music and created a playlist unique for this test.

Closed Zune

downloaded and installed the Windows phone desktop app on my Windows 7 laptop.

Allowed the utility to sync whatever it needed to do.

The Zune playlist DID show up in the playlist list.

I selected it

Sync'd My Lunia 920 with that playlist.

Confirmed the playlist was available on my WP8.

Tried to play the music ....fail, with message you list above

Removed the Sync cable and tried to play music...fail, with message you list above

restarted my phone....

Tried to play music....succeed. All sync'd tracks play with no message. so,

from my point of view, this works as expected. I wish it were more graceful, but its v1....but it works...for me

Thanks for doing this.  Doesn't work for me.  I already had Zune for a long time on Windows 7.  I tried to download a new album, and then sync only that album.  syncs fine to phone, but still gives the error that it can't verify media usage rights even after reboot, I give up , i just donloaded albums through the phone directly so they play without issue. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem and it's really making me crazy.  It looks like what I need to do is load Windows 8 and maybe that will solve the problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok to the people trying to help, this only applies to music that was downloaded using the zune pass prior to the xbox music. Im even using windows 8 now and it still doesn't transfer the DRM over. Looks like the only way to get it over is to redownload everything from xbox music app.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok to the people trying to help, this only applies to music that was downloaded using the zune pass prior to the xbox music. Im even using windows 8 now and it still doesn't transfer the DRM over. Looks like the only way to get it over is to redownload everything from xbox music app.

Doreen,

I'm sorry you're having this problem.  I can tell you that it works for me.  In addition to the tests ran for you, I do have old subscription music, from prior to Xbox music. I have tested that too, and it does work.

Can I make a suggestion...

If the ID you setup on windows phone is indeed the same login you use for Xbox music, and, that was indeed the same as your old Zune pass, and your subscription music does not play, regardless of age, contact Zune support.  Go to Xbox.com and select support.  Choose Zune.  Zune support still exists...and is integrated with wp support.  Relate your problem through them.  They will help, if possible.

I'm Phil..
Google Pixel 2XL
Apple iPhone X
Surface Book 16gb
Surface Pro 4 16gb

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks.  I did contact Xbox/Zune support this morning and they told me there is no fix for this issue and they're not sure if there ever will be.  His suggestion was to delete everything and re-dowload it from the phone itself.  Not ideal, as this would take me weeks to do.  I wish I had known this ahead of time before buying the new phone.

Sorry this didn't help.

Doreen, thanks for checking with Zune support. It's absolutely appalling that this is their "solution", but to be honest I resigned myself to it several days ago. I guess my Thanksgiving weekend will be taken up with this project. Gah!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks.  I did contact Xbox/Zune support this morning and they told me there is no fix for this issue and they're not sure if there ever will be.  His suggestion was to delete everything and re-dowload it from the phone itself.  Not ideal, as this would take me weeks to do.  I wish I had known this ahead of time before buying the new phone.

You're right, I can't believe this.  I knew their response would be very similar to that....but I can't believe they actually said that.  Especially since it works for my subscription music.

I have a couple of contacts there,....let me ping them.

I'm Phil..
Google Pixel 2XL
Apple iPhone X
Surface Book 16gb
Surface Pro 4 16gb

Sorry this didn't help.

You're right, I can't believe this.  I knew their response would be very similar to that....but I can't believe they actually said that.  Especially since it works for my subscription music.

I have a couple of contacts there,....let me ping them.

Ok, I pinged a couple of my buddies, lets see what they say.

But, let me ask....to validate the steps are followed.   I caught that you updated to Win8.  So, in order:

• gather all your subscription music in a playlist...it can be multiple if you wish
  • log out of zune
  • On Win8, in the music app,( NOT THE WINDOWS PHONW DESKTOP APP) select My music, then playlist
  • on the Playlist page, right mouse click and select Import Playlist.
  • Your created playlists will be available. 
  • Import them.   You should now see your music and it should be available from the Music App in Windows 8
  • NOW, open the Windows Phone desktop app.
  • Connect your wp8
  • The playlists should be available in that tool.  If not, shut it down, reboot computer, then open the Windows Phone desktop app.
  • choose the playlist and then sync
  • disconnect from the phone
  • on the phone, navigate to the Music app, them playlist.  You should see the playlist
  • Attempt to play the music.
  • If an error occurs, reboot phone
  • Try again.  Music should now play. 

The entire issue that I see, is as you had mentioned previously....in Windows 7, there is NO interaction with XBOX music prior to syncing with Phone.  The music may transfer but may not play because of format/drm compatibility.  If you have Windows 8 and follow the steps above, you should avoid that.

Though I was able to reproduce the solution on Windows 7, I'm not convinced I was anything more than lucky.   Though....if it works once, it should work more often.

I'll let you know if I get a reply....

I'm Phil..
Google Pixel 2XL
Apple iPhone X
Surface Book 16gb
Surface Pro 4 16gb

Sorry this didn't help.