Issues With XBox Music On WP8 - WP8 Sync App

Hello!

This is in response to feedback about the Windows Phone 8 App compiled by dmmontal in the Master List Of Issues With XBox Music On WP8 thread.  We'll be continue to update this thread with news as we work towards a resolution to these items.

- "Syncing" functions are very basic - virtually non-existent compared to the rich sync experience in Zune or even iTunes.

- No icon indicating if media is currently on device or not. Have to navigate all the way back to the home screen of the app and click on a whole different subset of folders to see what media is on your device.

- No manual syncing or management of Playlists. Cannot generate auto-playlists, like in Zune.

- No visible folder hierarchy in navigation.

- Very few options to actually manage media library.

Thank You,

Greg

|
I agree with all those points 1000%. I would also add that you can no longer sync a single song, only the whole cd... really!? You can't update a playlist and have it automatically sync. I know, it will via the cloud, but what about for songs I've ripped from a CD that aren't magically "matched". It seems crazy that so many features are missing that were present in Zune.

I would also add, the Xbox music "metro" app for windows 8 is terrible for a desktop class machine. It stinks having to use a full screen app with a keyboard and mouse... so much wasted space. The xbox music "desktop" app is the only alternative for a desktop environment and it is missing so many features, its useless. 

I am really surprised that there is no longer a Microsoft alternative to ITunes. And no, media player is not even close. Zune was it, and it was much better than the competition in many ways. Its such a shame that MS did not build on the core Zune software.

As software engineer, I find it strange that a SW company would completely abandon a well received product(even if the zune hw wasn't), and replace it with a inferior replacement lacking much of the functionality of the original. I currently own windows 7.5 and windows phone 8 handsets. I love the 920, and my titan is not bad either. I have a hard time recommending anyone who listens to music buy a windows phone 8 handset, even though the Nokia hardware is excellent. I also have a Zune pass subscription with the 10 "free" songs per month. I really won't continue with the subscription, why bother, it is so hard to integrate the zune pass content with your own music. I also would not recommend it to anyone who is interested in a new phone.

Hopefully this is remedied soon, I really want to like wp8, but Xbox music so terrible I'm not sure I can continue to support it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I think another thing to add is wireless sync.  With Win 8 tablets now I think it's even more important to have the capability to sync wirelessly since they don't come with a lot of USB ports.  I think you can sync music to wp8 from the cloud, but that doesn't help if music doesn't match stuff to the cloud or if you have video pictures you want on your phone.  And if you sync from the cloud it's going to be slower and use data.  If you are on the same network you should be able to sync via the network and a much faster speed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know if this quite the right thread to add this to, but it seems to be the closest of those listed from the original master list.

The matching of songs for my Cloud Collection is just hopeless.  Many, many songs are matched twice - it seems that if a song is available in Microsoft's library on two different albums, I get both albums in my Cloud Collection with that song.  This leads to the silly situation where I have things like Miles Davies' 'Kind of Blue' listed twice - 'Kind of Blue' and 'Kind of Blue (Remastered)'.  They're identical albums, really.  Why can't XBOX Music just pick one to match with?

Sillier still, I frequently have the situation I've just described made even worse by the fact that one of the albums matched in Microsoft's library will be available for online streaming and the other won't.  So I have the Sigur Ros album 'Ágætis Byrjun' appearing twice in my Collection (seemingly identically - the album names are identical so I don't know why there's a duplication).  If I look at the first one, tracks 1-10 all show as 'Unavailable' - I can't play them online.  But if I go into the other instance of the albums, tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10 are all available to be played.

PLEASE get this sorted out - the principle of the Cloud Collection is excellent, and if it all works properly I'll happily subscribe to an XBOX Music Pass.  As it is, I feel like it'd be money spent each month on pure frustration.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

everybody should go to the latest blog on the Xbox Music and let them know what you think.  For some reason, it's titled, "Right from the Start:  Xbox Music"

Pretty sure it's not right from the start, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to be with 8.1...

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2013/09/08/right-from-the-start-xbox-music.aspx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the heads up, bguy. I did respond as you suggested. Text below:

Right from the start? Are you kidding me? Speaking as a guy who really has been there from the start (I bought a Zune 30 and a Zune Pass to go with it at launch), this is a sick joke. The TL;DR for this post is simple: The Xbox Music experience is horribly, horribly broken.

We're almost a year in from the launch of WP8, and I STILL have the following major problems:

1.) I can't sync my music from my Zune Pass to my Lumia 920. Well, I can sync it, but it won't play. I get a message saying "We are unable to confirm the media usage rights for this content". Really? I don't have the rights to play it on my WP8 device, but it plays fine on my PC, old Zune and my WP7 device? And if I download it all over again directly to the phone using the *exact same* music subscription service (renamed Xbox Music, of course) I magically do have the rights again? Really, Microsoft?

2.) The Desktop app for Windows 7 is terrible. I can't even sync individual songs. It's whole albums or nothing. The UI is awful. This is the most damning indictment of the software I can think of: I get better functionality using Windows Media Player, software that is so old that MS has all but abandoned it. Yet it's the best way of managing my media in the latest iteration of Windows Phone. And no, I can't update to Windows 8, because my workplace won't allow me to use anything but Windows 7 on their network. Many people are stuck with Win7 for the long haul - we need a decent app for WP/XBM.

3.) Metadata management (if you can call it that) still stinks. We still don't have the option of telling Xbox Music to only add metadata that is missing (a feature that was present and beloved in Zune). So I can't use the much-touted cloud features of WP8/Xbox Music, because if I do it will overwrite all my metadata with new INCORRECT metadata. Related to this problem is the fact that I get duplicates of songs in albums, missing songs, albums that are split into two because of different naming conventions (using an ampersand instead of the word "and" in band/album names on some tracks, but not all, so the software thinks that it's two differently named albums. Genius).

The issues go on and on. I evangelized Zune when it came out, despite most people wanting nothing but an iPod. I defended Windows Phone 7 because I saw the amazing potential, even though iOS and Android were both streets ahead in terms of features. And now I'm stuck with WP8 - easily the best mobile OS Microsoft has ever produced - and I can't use key features that I PAY $15 A MONTH FOR!

At least this blog post tells me why these issues still haven't been fixed almost a year after launch - you've been spending all your development time and dollars coding apps for iOS and Android. I understand why you're doing this from a business perspective, but as a customer who has supported Zune/Xbox Music from the start (for real, not starting at Win8.1), I can tell you that I am bitterly, bitterly unhappy.

Please, please fix this for the loyal Zune/WP/XBM customer base that has stuck with you through almost a decade of you building this service. We at least deserve something that works.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Like the poster above, I have been on board nearly as long and proselytize WP as often as I can.

I had lunch with three IT friends of mine a week ago, and they made my Lumia 900 a topic of discussion for 10 minutes. They'd never seen a WP in person before (says something, doesn't it?).  I'm not an app-heavy user, so WP7 is fine for me as far as that goes. Music is #1. Period. I bought the 900 knowing it was a past-gen device but it was Zune I was after, integrated with a phone. It was a beautiful experience, unboxed and working in 3 minutes, synced and playing with Zune sw on my W7 desktop.

Then the cracks started to show. The only fubar with the setup described above is that video content will "sync" but will not play. I've spent $10+ in MS points only to realize the failure. The effort involved to discover the issue was ridiculous, fruitless. Ultimately I was refunded but no exlpanation was given. This is the one thing that makes me keep an eye on the future for WP - I want a solution for movies on my phone in the current environment that works so well for me - W7, WP7, old school Zune software and subscription. If this would be true with W7 desktop - WP8, I'd be a happy man. So...

When it came time for my daughter to get a new phone, I got the 521 from TMO. I knew there were issues going in, but I had hopes that music on her phone, ease of use and the library available from Xbox Music would somehow mirror what I enjoyed.

The experience with that was so bad, so horrible, I felt like I had given her a product, a promise so broken out of the box...Wasted $120 and made her ever more dependent on other sources for music.

Please, please resuscitate Zune. Bring it back. Relaunch it in the form it had when it was new. It's still fresh. It worked. The Apple backlash needs a champion, and your champion will be WP with Zune as it's lance. It's sword. It's bow. Music and videos will be it's arrows. The look of it, the feel of it are very important. Give user options within the scope of it all - cloud, subscription, stream, all that junk I don't care to understand. I am a simple man with simple needs and money to spend. I will gladly spend it with you, MS, but not if the future goes the way you've taken us over the last 24 months. I'll go back to ripping vinyl and CDs. I'll buy every last Zune capable device and if that also goes away, I'll just have to examine my options then.

I hope you all realize how important this is.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Count me as another who misses the Zune software.

I bought a Zune 120 GB shortly before the Zune HD was announced and have been loving the Zune software ever since. Because Windows Media Player will actually sort my music library folders, I still used that for organizing my collection, but I used Zune as my primary media player on the computer and for syncing with devices. I have been a Windows Phone user since the beginning of 2011. The only real issue I had with using my phone as my music device was the limited storage capabilities, meaning I could only sync about half of my music to the phone.

The biggest concern I had with the software is that a few of the albums in my collection were not matched to the correct artist in the Zune store. One album named "Back & Forth" by a more obscure artist caused that artist to be matched with The Verve because they had an album called "Forth." Strangely, that album in question was available from the Zune store. I then discovered a third party app "Zune Social Tagger" which I could use to manually match albums to the correct album in the Zune store. This issue affected only a few albums out of my fairly large collection, but this third party app was a useful tool.

I switched to WP8 when I purchased my Lumia 920 in about 4 months ago. I have added some music to my collection since then, but didn't notice this issue until recently. I had pretty much stopped using the Zune software since it wasn't compatible with my new phone. In the past month, I added CD's from 3 artists that I previously did not have in my collection. When I synced those albums to my phone, I noticed that there was no available suggestions to purchase music by those artists in the Xbox Music Store. After playing around with the Xbox Music app on my Windows 8.1 computer as well as various other media player software, I finally discovered that the Zune software was still useful in associating the music I have ripped from my CD collection with the music in the store.

What I would like to see is an updated version of the Zune software that provides the following functionality

• Ability to manage and sort my music folders by artist and album name (still using WMP for this function)
  • Play music and videos
  • Auto-synchronization when device is connected to the computer
  • Create and manage playlists
  • Rip CD's (preferably with an optional vbr encoder)
  • Option to choose if metadata is overwritten or if only missing data is added
  • Ability to sync with Windows Phone 8
  • Ability to match music from CD's and other sources of music files to the corresponding artist in the Xbox Music Store, which allows for things like artist wallpaper, suggestions for other music, related artists, buzz, bio, etc.

Like others have mentioned, we don't care what name the software goes under, the consumers just want the functionality that we lost as well as hoping for a few improvements along the way.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You know, if MS really wanted to fix the issues related to the Windows Phone 8 - they would've done so long ago. And, they really do have the resources to address any of the issues listed. It's just that, as with most big corporations that are selling millions of units, they're very aware that they have the hammer, so-to-speak. As long as people are consuming their units why would they bother with addressing bug fixes with any sort-of urgency. I mean, c'mon man, who are we kidding here; bug fixes are "Low Priority" and certainly there is NO overtime pay going into bug fixes. So, we'll just have to take a bite of the sweet and sour MS sandwich and chew - just keep on chewing....ain't nothin' gonna change here. Cheers!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2021 Views 1,014 Applies to: