DRM free music files & Phone back up

I am currently on my 3rd windows 8 phone in the past year with the current phone being the Lumia 925. I noticed that the 920 & 925 mirror each other as far as how you back things up and what downloads back into the phone upon reset or a new purchase. For instance, upon starting up the new 925 yesterday, text messages were in the phone from last year December when I had the 920. Also, the phone layout was pretty close to what I had setup on the 920 as well. I was previously using a Lumia 810 that I purchased in the states and had unlocked while living overseas. I recently did a warranty exchange on the 810 (prior to upgrading to the 925) and noticed that the replacement was also already backed up to mirror the one sent back. I am wondering if these things are set to back up according to the type of phone being used as opposed to a universal Winphone8 back up. 

I ask this b/c I am noticed that I had to re-download apps that I had on the 810 to the 925 and more troubling is the fact that the music I purchased on my 810 and even my Surface is not showing as DRM free in the phone. I even tried copying songs from my 810's memory card to my 925 but still no dice. I travel quite a bit internationally and don't always have a good data plan so being able to listen to music without streaming is detrimental to my pocket. I also like the Nokia Ringtone Maker app that I used on my 810 but notice that it wont use any of the songs on my 925.
Am i missing something with the Music pass syncing or do I have to infact buy all my music that I want DRM free again? I double checked the devices and removed my old Radar but kept the 810 and added the 925. 
I also upgraded my Surface to a Surface 2 within the past few weeks and am noticing the same thing there as well. Ofcourse my cloud music is available but again not my DRM free or MP3 files. 

I also want to add how disappointed I am that the 925 and 1020 lack expandable memory capability. If it wasn't for the wifi-calling feature and its benefits during my frequent travels, I would have passed on the 925. 
Also, how do I manage the music that is actually in "the cloud"? I find that I dont necessarily want all of the songs in the cloud anymore. 
Thanks for your time!

Answer
Answer

The backups are stored with the device name on SkyDrive. The backup is universal tough, so you can use any of the backups. Just note that if you restore HTC backup onto a Nokia phone, the HTC specific apps will not install.

Are you using the same Microsoft Account on all the phones?

With "the Cloud", do you mean SkyDrive? If yes, use the SkyDrive app.

Please click "Me Too" if you found my answer helpful. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @ThisIsMetro

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

The updates will not show on SkyDrive. They are hidden.

Moving music between the devices is easily done with the Windows Phone app from the Windows Store (on your Surface).

Please click "Me Too" if you found my answer helpful. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @ThisIsMetro

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2019 Views 174 Applies to: