Did iOS 7 copied Windows Phone?

Hello Microsoft community

My Name is Red

I wanted to start a discussion with you (sorry for the wrong grammar)

I have been hearing about Apple's upcoming iOS 7 that would be released this fall, and Apple said that they have redesigned the Interface of the new iOS and they called it the "modern UI" or the "flat interface" but wait... didn't Microsoft invented the Flat UI since the birth of Windows 8? I have been reading some in wpcentral, redmondpie, software.informer, gizmodo threads about iOS7 "the incarnated Windows Phone 8" and still apple walks in shadows leaving everyone being unattended that apple is copying other software

BTW here are some pictures of the "redsigned" iOS and Windows Phone 8

• First we have the lock screen

• and then the SMS messaging

• then the calls

• the Gallery

• Calculator

• App Switching

and you would see more videos about this in YT

IS THIS AN ENOUGH EVIDENCE FOR MICROSOFT TO SUE APPLE?

-Red

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sue Apple? No, not at all.

Apple and Google have copying the ideas from Windows Phone since the first release of Windows Phone 7. The People Hub, fast-camera access and so on.

Microsoft accelerated a move to what's being called "flat design". Google did it with Android 4.0 and now Apple is doing the "flat" thing with iOS 7.

I can see inconsistencies in the comparison shots. For example, whoever took the shot of the lock screen has specifically configured Windows Phone to look like iOS 7, not the other way around.

The photos thing... well how else do you display photos really?

I think there would be a motion to sue (or infringing patents) if the idea of pivots and panoramas were taken.
"No matter where you are, everyone is connected"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

MS could make a case against Apple and would most likely win, but the legal department would probably refuse to file it because they'd know they were making the case for the suite that's coming a few weeks after the Apple judgement: mine. And that's probably going to be in the same district and the court will not be pleased.

There's a long story I could tell you about how I arrived at "Flat UI" in 98. But that's a waste of time. I can tell you this: there's a private club in the Puget Sound region that - even as I type this - is running a 30k line database app that I wrote for them in 2000 that is very much "Flat UI".

I'm talking flat....I haven't used a MS Button Object since Nov 97: it was the button object I hated and that's why I developed "Flat UI". My buttons are Text Labels with OnClick and Rollover events.

The club database includes an idea I had about incorporating muted colors to give subtle indicators to users about where they are.

Ya...it's cool.  MS employees who belong to that club have been looking at it for 13 years.

I'm pretty sure MS Law wouldn't let that case go to trial.

But, I'm not motivated by money. and MS isn't making money off "Flat UI" so, who cares? I don't. But the suite your talking about, would trigger mine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
I'm glad you bumped this...I was a bit full of myself on the previous post...and I was a tad more strident than warranted.

I'm not rescinding anything, though. 

There are a few reasons I can think of that MS wouldn't file suit over this. One, is the legal criteria for IT related filings has probably narrowed a lot since the early 90's - which is where I have my experience in civil litigation. 

Plus, the possible damages are very ambiguous. 

And the last thing MS and even Apple need right now is another feud with those idiots at Google circling the fight. ( Let's face it, Apple and MS could merge and create a company called GOOGLE SUCKS EGGS and that would become the most wildly popular corporation, ever)   
Plus, I doubt they'll fight like they used to, ever again: the late 1990s loan from Mr. Gates was about keeping Apple in business....the Justice Department would surely have broken up MS if Apple had gone under. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated June 7, 2020 Views 1,127 Applies to: