File management where did it go? What no Windows Explorer? No file access via Zune Sync?

I need to be able to add and remove files on my cell HTC Surround.  I am forced to use Zune as my sync system, I miss ActiveSync, my device does not show up as a mount on my pc, I cannot move files, organize them or remove them.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2017 Views 3,644 Applies to:
Answer
Windows Phone 7 is completely different than windows mobile, so you just need to forget about everything you were able to do with your old windows mobile devices and change your expectations.  In my opinion, windows phone 7 is a refreshing change from windows mobile despite its differences and, in many cases, lack of matching functionality.  I am looking forward to seeing how the OS evolves in the coming months and years.

Probably the hardest thing for me to adapt to was the way windows phone 7 handles files, so here's a breakdown for you:

The Zune software can only be used to sync media files between a windows phone 7 and a computer, so you can only sync music, video, and photos via the Zune software.

Syncing Contacts and Appointments is done via a cloud-based service (Windows Live, Google, or Exchange Server). There's no way to sync this information directly from a computer to a windows phone. If you currently use Outlook on your computer to manage these items, you can use the Outlook Hotmail Connector, to sync this information from Outlook on your computer to your Windows Live account. I've written an article that details how you'd do this and you can find a link to that article in my signature (below).

You can copy other files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint or PDF files) to a windows phone a couple of different ways:
  • By emailing the file to yourself. When you download the email to your windows phone, you can open up the attachment and save it to the Office Hub.
  • By moving the files to a cloud based storage website (Dropbox, SugarSync, SkyDrive) and then you can use the windows phone mobile browser to download the files to your device.See this thread for a more detailed discussion about moving files to a windows phone.
  • You can use 3rd party applications on the windows phone, like HomePipe.  HomePipe allows you to browse the files that are on your computer from your windows phone via an internet connection and you can copy files that are on your computer to your phone.  You can find HomePipe (and now there are other applications that also do this) in the Marketplace.
  • You can also use OneNote for notes or to attach files to a OneNote note. The 2010 version of OneNote syncs to Microsoft's Windows Live Office OneNote, which in turn syncs to windows phone.

Once you've got files copied over to your phone, there is no way for you to organize them.  You will be able to find them in their respective hubs (mainly the Zune/Music hub and the Office hub... You can find your PDF files when you open up the Adobe Reader).

Prof Julie | Microsoft MVP Windows Phone | pocketprimer.com | twitter

Just got a new windows phone? Check out these blog articles:

Using the Outlook Hotmail Connector
Manage your tasks on a Windows Phone with Remember the Milk
Use Windows Live to handle tasks on a Windows Phone
Microsoft Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.