Bing Maps is a bad software in Europe, ok. But how can the maps be so old and outdated ?

I am a French user of Bing Maps.

Seriously I never tried such a bad GPS software. Most streets names are either false or missing. In Paris it shows you some streets but with no names !

But I was shocked to discover that the maps of my city (Strasbourg in France) are more than 5 years old. The aerial view show some old streets or places that did exist 5 years ago but do not exist now. What kind of maps from the middle-age is Microsoft using ?!

Some streets are now completey false.

I never experienced this with Google Maps, which has always been so fast and accurate.

I hate to be forced to use this pathetic Bing Maps. I am surprised that we have still no Google Maps application on WP7. I hope Microsoft is not blocking it.

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2018 Views 319 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I am a French user of Bing Maps...I never experienced this with Google Maps, which has always been so fast and accurate.

I've heard about Bing maps not being fully implemented for areas outside of the USA and the UK making the experience less than desirable. The Bing Maps Mobile team has made mention to a forthcoming update for Windows Phone 7 but there's not been information shared on whether that update also includes more recent map data or when it will be pushed out. (I know, without a committing statement for better support in Europe we are left knowing as much as we started with leaving us to wait).

I hate to be forced to use this pathetic Bing Maps. I am surprised that we have still no Google Maps application on WP7. I hope Microsoft is not blocking it.

Microsoft's approval process is fairly straight forward. So long as something doesn't violate the certification guidelines (PDF) and doesn't violate intellectual property Microsoft's been prompt about approving applications in time lengths of a few hours to a few days in most cases. From speaking with developers that have failed certification the response is also fairly prompt and spells out what needs to be adjusted to make the application pass certification.

Of course for any of that to matter Google (or some one else) would first need to decide to write the application. 

Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Windows Phone Developer MVP | Software Engineer
Joel Ivory Johnson
http://www.j2i.net

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.