"The Windows Phone 7 will turn ON automatically when connected to a charger it is by design and therefore expected behavior." QUESTION: WHY?

This question emerged countless times, and the only answer we ever got is the one above.

What do you mean when you say "by design"? What purpose does it serve? Some people think it's because of the wireless sync, but not all folks have wifi at home, so there must be something else. So could you please elaborate on that? WHY?

I heard from customers by the way that they find it really strange, even annoying, mostly because they do not know WHY. Not knowing why your phone does certain things makes you uneasy and you will be more likely to turn away from the brand, which would be really bad, considering the  incredible potential WP7 has. Could an official representative respond to these concerns?

QUOTE:

Martin V. - WP7 Support <abbr class="affil">Moderator</abbr>
Monday, November 15, 2010 10:09 AM

Hello Everyone,

The Windows Phone 7 will turn ON automatically when connected to a charger it is by design and therefore expected behavior.

Best Regards

Martin V.

Answer
Answer

Here is a reply from Martin V. from another thread, this gives me the explanation I wanted. I also post my reply below.

Hi,

Personally I don't like this behavior too but there are several reasons for it:

- main one would be that the charging process is now controlled by OS and therefore it must be running
- on many feature phones (including WP7) alarms are not working when the device is turned off
- wireless Zune synchronization

Please do not blame myself for the design of the feature - I was just trying to explain that there is nothing wrong with the device and it is simply standard behavior for WP7.

Best Regards

Martin V.

Dear Martin,

I do not blame you neither here, nor in my other forum thread. I just wanted to hear a reasonable explanation for this behaviour.

"- main one would be that the charging process is now controlled by OS and therefore it must be running": I accept this one, of course.

"- on many feature phones (including WP7) alarms are not working when the device is turned off": It is strange that it works this way, I was switching from a Sony Ericsson W580i, and alarms worked when the phone was switched off. Again, if the OS is designed this way, then it's understandable.

"- wireless Zune synchronization": I don't really agree with this one, it doesn't really makes sense when someone doesn't have wifi at home and wants to charge his phone quickly.

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,

Laszlo H.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 23, 2020 Views 2,778 Applies to: