does windows phone 7.5 need antivirus

On my PC I run an internet security package but my phone connects direct to a router - no protection (other than the built in firewall. Does it need it
Answer
Answer
Does it need it

Absolutely not! Part of the thought process in the design of WindowsPhone was creating an OS  that would safe and secure from threats. To infect Windows Phone with malware is virtually impossible.

Ed Hansberry said it best in another thread:

No one said it was impossible, but there are a lot of mitigating factors.

1. Windows Phone 7 cannot multitask third party apps, so if a virus were running, the antivirus could not, and vice-versa.
  2. Apps in the marketplace are inspected for this, so it is highly unlikely a virus would come from there. Even if it did, once discovered, MS has a kill switch for any app i nthe marketplace for just this issue.
  3. Mobile phone browsers lack the scripting capabilities of the desktop so are less susceptible to an attack.
  4. Mobile phones don't run x86 software which is what most viruses are written for.
  5. The return on investment for a virus writer to infect a phone is low. You have to target a specific platform (and WP7 would be low on the list due to marketshare) and then you are limited by what you can do. You cannot effectively turn a phone into a zombie like you can a desktop.

Is it possible? Sure. Likely? no. Worth crapping up your phone with AV software even if it could multitask it? No. Not even close.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
As I mentioned in the other thread you posted in, only Microsoft-approved software is in the Marketplace. The Marketplace is the only place to get apps. So unless you developer unlock your phone and begin download apps from shady sources, you will not get malware and you don't need an antivirus.
"No matter where you are, everyone is connected"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2018 Views 11,165 Applies to: