Hi everyone! We're experiencing a strange problem where Calendar data downloads onto a Windows Phone 7 just fine, but does not upload data to the server!
Here's the background information:
- phone is a Samsung Focus, no software updates available when I checked
- Windows Phone 7, obviously
- Outlook account on the phone is set up to sync Email, Contacts, and Calendar
- the Outlook account does not sync to a real Exchange server. It syncs to a Zimbra 5.0.18 Collaboration server, which if you know, emulates Exchange syncing for mobile devices. You put in the server details as if were an Exchange server, and Email, Contacts, and Calendar syncs with the phone and server.
- there's about 4500 appointments that are being synced on the Calendar
All seems to sync well except with the Calendar. Email downloads onto the phone, and you can send email messages out fine. The Calendar, however, does not work right. Here's examples of what happens:
1) add a calendar appointment via our Zimbra webmail (so that the appointment is definitely on the server)
2) within seconds, the calendar appointment appears on the phone
(so the downward sync is good)
1) add or delete an appointment on the phone
2) the server does not get the new appointment or delete the appointment
These are things I've tried:
1) rebooted the phone (many times)
2) unchecked Calendar syncing on the phone, so that all appointments are cleared out, and then re-check the Calendar syncing so that the data is all downloaded again
3) tried several combinations of removing the Calendar sync, rebooting the phone, and enabling it again
4) forced a sync by holding down the Outlook account in the Settings and choosing Sync
What's really bad is that there's no notification upfront that the sync has failed. So we think the appointment has been added to the server, but it actually hasn't.
On some occassions, when I tried to add an appointment on the phone, and check the Settings area, the Outlook account did say something around the lines of "not updated". When I force a sync, an error message "Unable to sync <name of appointment>" comes up. If I try the sync again, the error message disappears, but the item is still not synced up to the server. However, because no future error message comes up again for the failed sync, this causes chaos when adding appointments on the phone (they end up not syncing to the server, and no error comes up, so appointments between the server and the phone are out of sync).
Any ideas on what might be the cause of the Calendar upward sync problem? or suggestions on things to try or test?
I did see that you can enable Logging on the phone, but I could not find where the logging goes to, or if it's even user accessible.