Is Windows Phone 7 going to support direct sync with standalone Outlook?

My contract with my cellular provider is up after Christmas, which means I can finally upgrade my phone a little more cheaply.  I have already started shopping around and have really liked a couple of the new Windows 7 phones my provider has, but luckily discovered before purchasing one that USB (or any other kind of cable) syncing directly with a standalone version of Outlook is not possible.  Needless to say, I was completely baffled at this, as it seems many people are.

I have been syncing my and my wife’s cell phones (most which have not been windows based phones) to Outlook for over 10 years now and am extremely disappointed that Microsoft has taken a stance of not even supporting one of their own key products. My wife just purchased a new phone. She does not have a Windows phone, let alone what most techies would call a smart phone (nor the need for a phone that powerful). She does not even have (or need) a way to connect with the internet on her phone, but she does have the capability to come home, connect it to our home computer and sync it up to Outlook and retrieve the calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes. I would like…no…I need the capability to be able to do the same with my own phone too.

For the last five years, my last two phones have been Windows Mobile phones and I have liked them a lot. From what I have seen and played with in the store, I really like the new Windows Phone OS. But I do not have any need for another e-mail account (I already have 8 or more). I do not believe I should have to purchase a product or some kind of service that will allow me to “easily” sync my phone with the Outlook I have been using for years. And I really do not think I should have to “upload” all my information up into “the cloud” just because someone else thinks it would be better for me.

I have looked over many forums (this one and others) and blogs. I have even watched the video where Joe Belfiore, Microsoft Vice President in charge of Windows Phone 7, says that syncing with the standalone version of Outlook is the top requested features (http://wmpoweruser.com/microsofts-joe-belfiore-happy-with-windows-phone-7-sales/). I know there is a big Windows Phone update coming out soon and after all my research am wondering if anyone knows if directly syncing with Outlook is going to be one of the new features?  I am not going to purchase a phone that will not connect with my standalone version of Outlook nor would I like to wait around for a month or two for an update to come out to discover that this will not be one of the new features of the updated Windows Phone OS. If not, I guess I will either be joining the Apple bandwagon or going Android, which I know both can sync directly with a standalone version of Outlook.

I really hope Microsoft is going to fix this issue!

UMWarEagle

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 1,033 Applies to:
Answer
I spent a LOOOOOOONG time searching for a solution, before I found one on another forum.  So I am sharing it here.   Here is goes:

http://www.akruto.com

These guys wrote an exchange emulator, which makes your standalone Outlook look like an exchange server.  What this means?  This means that our Windows Phones can now connect to a standalone Outlook and sync with it just like they would sync with an exchange server.  Here you go.  Wish you could each buy me a beer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
after all my research am wondering if anyone knows if directly syncing with Outlook is going to be one of the new features?

There's not been any official announcement yet, so I don't think that any one really knows with certainity if and when direct syncing may come.

Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Windows Phone Developer MVP | Software Engineer
Joel Ivory Johnson
http://www.j2i.net

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.