HTC Surround (w/Mango) randomly crashes, gets stuck in reboot loop

Hey all, I have an HTC Surround/T8788 (AT&T) and I recently updated it to Mango (7.10.7720.68).

The device now crashes on a regular basis.  The exact behavior is a crash followed by a reboot, at which point it gets stuck in a reboot "loop", rebooting repeatedly (sometimes making it to the lock screen, sometimes not) until I shut it off by holding down the power button.  Removing the battery does nothing; I can remove the battery, put it back in, turn the device back on, and it will keep rebooting itself over and over.

The behavior is especially prevalent when running apps.  I have 2.86GB free, so I'm not pushing up against any space limits as far as I can tell.  I've tried to narrow it down to one particular app, but it's happened when running IE, Foursquare, I'm a WP7, you name it.

I used to have random crashes every once in a while, but this happens constantly.  I haven't been able to find anybody with similar issues online, either.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 633 Applies to:

Hello,

Apologies for someone not answering your thread earlier.  Based on the symptoms you've described, it sounds like system software on your phone either didn't update properly or is corrupt (hence, causing the random crashes and reboot loop).

I would recommend backing up the content of your phone (if at all possible), and resetting it to the factory settings.  That would help fix the issue on the phone.  Normally, I wouldn't suggest such an extreme troubleshooting step as a reset right away.  However,  based on the instability of the phone, I believe it's the best course of action.  Please take a look at the document below for more assistance with the reset process.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2416101

Regards,

-Patrick Sw. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Patrick, thanks so much for the reply. I tried the hard reset and wiped the phone, but the issue is still occurring. It must be a hardware issue, so I'll have to see what my warranty status is on this device.

It's really strange; it almost seems like the phone is "overheating" in a way. Not literally, but it seems absolutely fine up until the point it reboots. Then I leave it for a while and it's fine again.

Does the HTC Surround have an onboard SD card? I've seen at least one person stating that they cracked their phone open, swapped out an SD card and it solved their problem. I know that voids warranty, but if that would fix this issue (and I had no warranty) I'd consider it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

This is simply a permanent issue with this phone, at least when it's running Mango.  I see some other issues with HTC phones rebooting...surely somebody has some insight into this.

If I were to hazard a guess, I think Mango is doing something in the background that causes the phone's CPU to spin up and overheat, thus causing multiple reboots until it cools down.

Again, that's just a guess, but that seems to match the behavior I'm seeing.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the same issue ever since I updated my phone to Mango.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. I called ATT and they couldnt help. I've been having the problem since the mango update and figure that's what it is. Has anyone figured out how to fix it? Or is the phone done for?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. I called ATT and they couldnt help. I've been having the problem since the mango update and figure that's what it is. Has anyone figured out how to fix it? Or is the phone done for?

AT&T was beyond useless in my case, as they knew nothing about Windows Phone 7.

I contacted HTC and wound up sending my phone in for repairs. I paid to ship it out (their repair center is in Houston), then they shipped it back for free. Fortunately my phone was still under warranty so it cost me nothing but the shipping (cheap for such a small package).

HTC's turnaround time was great (total turnaround was maybe 7 business days), and you can track the status of the repair online. My phone is now fixed and rock-solid. So yeah, talk to HTC.

Start by emailing them here:

http://www.htc.com/us/support

Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.