windows phone 7 marketplace countries

this is kind of weird... I just bought a wp7, in portugal. vodafone's htc trophy...

now... wp7's marketplace is not available in this country/region? so, i just bought it, and can not do anything extra with it? just the plain (and good, i must say) apps that are in the distribution?

Anything i can do for activating marketplace for my "place"? different live id? not good microsoft, or my mistake?

If not possible, when ms will open marketplace for portugal?

any help would be desirable

thanks

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2018 Views 9,001 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Miguel,

I recognize the situation, being Dutch. The store is comming. To us it is comming in about 6 months.

About a seperate LiveID: apperantly it is against the EULA. So from a legal point of view, it is certainly not reccomended.

Also from a technical perspective, it might hurt you a lot more than you realize. Even when you create, for example a French or Spanish, LiveID you still can only access Freeware. To get this to work you also need to have all your regional settings on your phone set to the region of your LiveID as well (except the language, but local search does not work as expected). In order to be able to buy apps you also need a european creditcard (for example Mastercard) but also have to have a Spanish or French billing adress (they never send any bills, so the reason for this requirement is completely lost on me...). I was lucky because all my ID's were already tied to the UK because I worked a lot in our UK offices when I created them.

Problem is that you can't migrate LiveID's back, and all your purchases are tied to your LiveID. So when things do go local in Portugal you might still run into trouble because you might not be able to access the local market for portugal, because such a LiveID is for the wrong market. You can't change a region of a LiveID, so you then end up with the choice: throw away a LiveID with all the apps bought, or have no access to portuges apps.

So trickery with LiveID is not a reccomended path both from a legal and technical perspective...

Jaap

Owner ModernNomads.info, Manager van Dutch Windows Mobile Wiki

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.