Discussion

Mobile Push Notification services are ending for Windows Phone 7.5 and Windows Phone 8.0

On February 20, 2018, Mobile Push Notification services will be turned off for Windows Phone 7.5 and Windows Phone 8.0.  Once this happens:

• Your phone will no longer receive notifications.
  • Your phone will not receive additional live tile updates.
  • The “Find my phone” feature will no longer locate your phone.

Windows Phone 7.5 and Windows Phone 8.0 have reached their end of support dates, and thus services for these versions of Windows will be discontinued over time. 

Note: 

Notification services will continue to function for Windows Phone 8.1 at this time, and newer phones running Windows 10 Mobile are still fully supported.

You can find information at the Windows Phone 7 FAQ and the Support Lifecycle policy.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Someone say:  "Never personally owning an iPhone or Android, do those platforms disable notifications sooner or later than Microsoft? What are the oldest versions of iOS and Android that still receive notifications?"

And other say: "Assuming the app versions are still supported on android, any OS version should still get push notifications. version 2.3 (from 2010-ish) still shows up in the platform numbers, so is reasonably still in use."

This is an unfortunate step.  Android and iOS OS's are phones are typically supported for only a couple of years and will stop receiving updates, their push notifications will continue to work.  This wasn't a technical decision, it was a business decision.  While the numbers of Windows Phone users have dropped to be almost out of the picture, it doesn't send a good message to the remaining users.
Chris Miller @anotherlab
Please click "Helpful" or mark as Answer if you found my answer helpful

Thank your reply. I think Microsoft (at least Mr. Nadella) unloyal with the customers. The customer buy Microsoft devices, but they end of support all mobile devices??

The customers just need their devices has long term support or slide load android apps (project Astoria) for using everyday (We don't need a thoudsands apps, we just need slide load app on operating system we love. We don't need new major features, we just need some tweak or minor updates).

I am a big fan of Microsoft (I have 4 Lumia(which run Windows 10 mobile), 5 PCs run Windows 10, and a Xbox) and I am a C# developer but I don't know why he (Mr.Nadella) have that behavior with the customer (this lose all customer trust). I don't use Windows phone 7.5 or Windows phone 8 anymore but other customer will think about this??

If project Andromeda (if it is existing) show to developer, customer; there will NO one develop apps for that device if he still lose the trust.

Thank again for reply. I am living in Vietnam so I can't talk with Mr.Nadella. If you can, please send this to Microsoft CEO

"...newer phones running Windows 10 Mobile are still fully supported."

For notification services, this statement is perhaps true. For other things, not so much. As I have found, phones that were blocked at Windows 10 1511 (i.e. many if not most phones that were upgraded from 8.1 without significant hacking) no longer get any updates including security. Those ended in November 2017. So "fully supported" has to be carefully qualified.

OK, I know what a "Push Notification" is in general terms.  But, does this only apply to Microsoft apps, or third-party apps as well?  I thought "Find my phone" used SMS?

A little more info/explanation is needed for us non-developers.

I mean, why?

unsupported, I get it, but shut down a service which should not cost a whole lot to maintain, why would you do that? scale it down, look at the top 10% notifications and think about disabeling them, but shutting the whole thing down is not nice. I do not get it.

When even big fans of WP 7.5 and WP 8.0 no longer use it, it's reasonable for Microsoft to wind down support. And the writing is on the wall for WP 8.1 & Windows 10 Mobile. However, desktop Windows 10 will be around for a long time.

I have a Microsoft Lumia 950 Dual SIM. I love the phone, never had a problem of any kind. 

My question is,  will all of the Windows 10 applications work on an android phone or have the ability to link with my Windows 10 PC still be available on an android phone? My photos, calendar, email/outlook, contacts, OneDrive, Office 2016, OneNote, etc. What happens to all of my stuff?

All Microsoft apps you need are available on Android and are much better than the Windows Mobile versions.
----------------------------------------------------------------
"Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

To my mind, the real reason Windows phone sales have greatly diminished  has nothing to do with limited apps, and more to do with their fight with Verizon over who has control over when updates get pushed through. With Verizon essentially refusing to sell Windows Phones that was the death of Windows Phones

Discussion Info

Views: 5,817 Last updated: June 21, 2018 Applies to: