How to change menc files?

What do I do to change the menc files back and how do i prevent that from happening again? I have the samsung code if that helps anyone on filling me in on what to do?

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2019 Views 10,605 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Greetings MoSt_WnH.  Welcome to the Windows Phone forums.

Menc files (Mobile Encryption) files are basically your data (phone contacts in PIM.VOL for example) that are encrypted.  The extension of .menc lets the Operating System (OS) know which files are encrypted, and if they match the key provided by the user.  But you won't see those files, because they are typically hidden by the OS so as not to be visible to the user by casual browsing.   If you managed to save them to external storage (external memory card, etc), then they may be visible.

Therefore, it sounds like you've performed a Hard Reset or swapped-out devices, but still have .menc files stored on your external memory card.   Sadly, if you have Hard Reset the device, or have a different device than the one the files were created on, then the encryption/decryption keys are no longer the same, and so your files are inaccessible. 

But, if you have the same device the .menc files were created on, and you HAVE NOT performed a Hard Reset on the device, then you can still salvage the files:

1. Turn the storage card encryption off: Go to Start > Settings > System > Encryption (varies by your Operating System version) and uncheck the “Encrypt files when placed on a storage card” box. From this point forward, all NEW files will be unencrypted, but existing files will still be encrypted.
  2. Next, bring-up your favorite File Explorer, then browse to your Storage Card. Make a new folder on the storage card, and call it “OLDData”.
  3. Now, find whatever files you want to decrypt and copy them into this folder.  Those files will be decypted as they copy into the new folder.  You can now read these files on any other computer or phone.

I hope this helps...

- David A. Matson
Moderator, Windows Mobile phone Forums
Product Reviewer, Blogger, Moderator www.mobilitysite.com
Please click the blue "Helpful" box if my post was either helpful or answered your question!

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.