Connected, but cannot verify version of ActiveSync on the PPC. AS 4.5. WM6.

Yesterday without any cause I can identify the ActiveSync partnership between XP SP2 plus patches laptop and WM 6 Classic device stopped working. After successful initial stuff, got "Active Sync cannot be completed." Treated device as a "guest."

Uninstalled and reinstalled ActiveSync. ActiveSync on the laptop goes into "Connected" status but message comes up saying unable to verify the ActiveSync version of the device. It mentioned firewall as a possible culprit so I turned off the XP firewall. No change. Local Area Network connection is there for "Windows Mobile Device #4" at 10 Mbs, it is connected. Only one device has ever sync'd with this laptop. Attempt to explore the device gets an empty explorer window for "Mobile Device." Attempt at add/remove software gets a "can't retrieve software info from the device."

All ActiveSync stuff is via USB cable.

Anyhow, my working hypothesis is that the ActiveSync on the device is dented or broken. I have wi-fi access from the device to the world.

1) Is there any useful diagnostic info I can collect on the device, using tools that already exist there?

2) Is there any way I can download the device side of ActiveSync directly to the device via wi-fi to do a reinstall from the device side? Any other device-and-web repair strategies?

3) Is there any possible benefit in trying to sync via Bluetooth? I tried this before, when things in general were fine, and couldn't get it to work.

4) I suppose I can try to sync with another laptop.

5) Any other things I can do before doing a hard reset of the device? No, I don't have backups beyond what ActiveSync and individual software products provide.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2018 Views 7,496 Applies to:
Answer

Clark,

Check out this guide that Jaap van Ekris did on Bluetooth sync

http://modernnomads.info/wiki/index.php?page=Synchronizing+through+bluetooth

Windows Phone ... Just press start and enjoy a true mobile experience

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.