Out dated security certificate on Windows Mobile 5

I have an HP iPAQ 6955 running Windows Mobile 5 and I am now unable to use my phone application to dial out.

The following error appears.
The file ':MSCprog cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. You might need to reinstall or restore this file.
I also noticed the "Secure Server Certificate Authority" expired on July 1, 2010.

I have cold restarted my device several times which does nothing. Interesting to note, I can access the web and email without issue.

However the phone interface will not start (see error above) until I receive the first incoming call after which I can dial out using the telephone app without issue.
Again if I restart my device the error is back and can be resolved again with the first incoming call.

I am sure this is a certificate issue (much like the MSN certificate issue you all helped with recently, again thanks) however I need to know where to get an update certificate and how to install the updated certificate.

Thanks to any and all for their help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2018 Views 3,692 Applies to:
Answer

Hello Wayne,

Based on your last reply, it sounds like you are used to performing backups and performing Hard Resets.  At this juncture, I'd like to prove it's the certificate that is the issue, versus the probability of a software snafu (a missing file, or incompatible software that you installed previously, or bad configuration file, etc).   Unfortunately, in order to do this properly, you need to backup your device and perform a Hard Reset.

1.) Backup: Perform a backup of your device using your favorite backup program.  

2.) Hard Reset: Hard Reset then check to see if error can be reproduced.  It's imperative that you not install any software prior to performing your first check (calling-out).  If the issue is truly caused by a certificate that is expired, then you'll get the very same error message when you go to dial-out after the device is newly Hard Reset.   

Two general things can occur at this juncture:

3a.) Trouble Repeats: In this case, the certificate issue is HP's issue.  You'll want to talk to them about the issue and how they can assist you further.  HP doesn't normally overlook this kind of issue, so the odds are good that you likely won't be the only one affected.  The downside is that you're likely beyond the warranty period, so this could become a costly repair. 

• Note: If a large number of iPAQ 6955 users are affected, you could claim "foul ball" to HP by their designing a purposeful demise of the device when it's still in good working condition, making a stink about it until they fix it.

-or-

3b.) Trouble Doesn't Repeat: If the problem does go away, then the problem was not due solely to an expired certificate.  The problem is likely a missing file, bad config file, or conflicting software. Further work will be necessary to prove one way or another what the actual cause is.  At that juncture, you have two methods to find the culprit:

• Start from the bottom and work your way up: You can manually install each application, testing your outbound call capability until you have found the offending program (or have re-installed all apps back onto your phone).   In this case, is was most likely a missing file that was the cause.
  • Start from the top and work your way down: You can use a Restoral process from your previously created Backup to restore the device to the same state where you got the error messages, then manually remove each program until you find the offending program.  If you remove ALL user-installed programs and the trouble continues, then it's most likely a configuration file that is corrupt (but was restored from backup).

I hope this helps. 

- David A. Matson
Moderator, Windows Mobile phone Forums
Product Reviewer, Blogger, Moderator www.mobilitysite.com
Please click the blue "Helpful" box if my post was either helpful or answered your question!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Greetings Jeff!  Welcome to the Windows Phone forums!

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing a similar problem.  

While the cause is potentially the same, the effects are different, in that Wayne's point-of-failure was a "dialer" that was specific to HP, and thus it's failure is clearly an HP issue to resolve.  Your Axim's failure to connect to Exchange Server makes this situation a little more fuzzy, so it's hard to say if the problem is due to a Dell issue, an IT issue, or a MS issue.  

Since your IT folks advised you that a valid cert is installed on the OWA server, let's see if we can make use of that.  Let's export and install an SSL certificate from your OWA website over to your Axim:

ON YOUR PC
1.)
Go to your OWA site URL (eg. https://mail.owadomain.com).
2.) You should see the SSL lock icon down at the botton of the browser interface.
3.) Double click on it, then go to the Details tab and click on “Copy to File”
4.) On the Certificate Export Wizard, go to Next.
5.) Select the first option “DER encoded binary X.509(.CER)”, click Next
6.) Give the File a name and save it to your desktop and click Finish

ON YOUR AXIM
1.)
Now transfer the .CER extension file to your Axim. 
2.) You should be able to Install it by clicking on the .CER file from your favorite File Manager program.
3.) It will ask about Importing the certificate. Choose yes.

Now your self-signed SSL certificate is trusted on the device, and you should no longer have problems synching with your company Exchange Server.    Let us know if this resolves your problem!

- David A. Matson
Moderator, Windows Mobile phone Forums
Product Reviewer, Blogger, Moderator www.mobilitysite.com
Please click the blue "Helpful" box if my post was either helpful or answered your question!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.