N96 USB Issue

I am having real problems getting the Nokia to talk to my Laptop, mind you this is now my 3rd N96 in just 7 days, so not impressed at all with the quality of this phone.

Anyway, when I connect the USB cable to the phone, nothing happens? the PC does not see it, and the Phone does not come up with the option to select PC Suite, Mass Storage, etc, well not until you remove the USB connection to the phone, then it comes up.

Tried uninstalling the software, going through the registry and removing anything related to Nokia, rebooting, and reinstalling, and rebooting before trying again, and still the same.

Tested the USB ports with various items from Printers, USB sticks, WebCAm, all found and work OK, but not the phone.

Taken USB lead back to shop, they tested it OK, so it is not the lead.

Is there major issues with this phone???? I have had 2 phones which refused to find a GPS signal at all, and one that would just boot to a white screen and then display that is could not locate the startup, and that I should contact the retailer. Even this one takes nearly 20 mins to find the GPS signal, should have got a Blackberry Bold me thinks, but I have been a loyal Nokia customer, not sure for how long at this rate.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 33,628 Applies to:
Interesting.

No problems with the N96 I have.

Did you try some other PC?

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Exactly. If the same fault occurs on several N96 units then it indicates either a fault with the USB ports of your computer or a problem introduced by operator branding.

I have no such problems with my N96 (generic, SIM-free) on either a laptop running Windows XP or my desktop machine running Slackware Linux.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

can confirm that mine works fine with the usb also running nokia generic firmware

very happy with the handset

Sorry this didn't help.

Before doing anything else, I think it is worth trying to uninstall and clean your previous pcsuite installation and then reinstalling.

You can clean previous installations by running PC Suite Cleaner to fully uninstall the previous version.

PCSuite Cleaner can be downloaded from
http://europe.nokia.com/A41198596

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorted, but not in the way that I would have liked. Yes it was tried on other PC's, and still failed, meaning that it was down to the N96. Tried another lead, and also tried new installs on another PC that had not had PC Suite installed on it ever, still not working, so I was happy to say the phone was at fault.

Took it back to the shop, to get my 4th new Nokia N96 in just 8 days now, and guess what... No GPS, I hadn't even left the shop this time, and after various members of staff tried to get the GPS signal working over 2 hours. They decided to swap it for a Blackberry Bold which I am afraid to say works perfectly, GPS even works in my basement, and also is instant, no waiting for ages for it to find a sat. Also another thing I have noticed is the accuracy of the GPS is much better, never managed to get a better accuracy than 200-400ft with the N96, the Bold i managed to get down to 30ft with 7 sat's received.

Me thinks Nokia need to look at it's Quality Control.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think i'm having the same problem!!!

I plug in my n95 and it comes up as a device with removable storage, i can either use my pc suite or just right click on what i want to transfer and onto the phone it goes.... my n96.... NOTHING.
My pc doesn't even register it's connected! I uninstalled the disc and re installed it, same thing.
Sometimes it comes up 'pc suite', 'mass storage', 'image transfer', 'media transfer' etc on the phones screen, but i have tried all of them and NONE register. I can't right click on anything i want to transfer as the phone or memory card doesn't even appear on the list to send to... I have the connectivaty setting on USB so i give up!!! It's about 5 seconds away from going on eBay and me going going back to my n95 8gb so PLEASE HELP!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem and I tested the cable on two PC's and one iMac on different USB-ports. At first it worked on the Mac with Multimedia Transfer but only for a few seconds so i guess it's the phone that's the problem and not the cable.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I've just spent a good half hour with the same problem - yesterday had a lovely new N96 synched to my laptop all fine, and today plugged them together via the USB cable, without any device recognition. I now have the solution...

The problem appears to be that you have to end your USB connection with your N96 using "safely remove hardware". If you read all the help info it tells you that your USB connection will not be recognised if you have previously 'broken' your USB connection - ie not safely removing it.

All I had to do was switch my N96 off and on again (as suggested in the help files), and it immediately connected to my laptop via the same USB cable no worries at all.

Hopefully there is a fix somewhere to sort this minor irritation, as my N95 could be connected and disconnected using the USB cable along no problem at all. In the meantime, simply switch your N96 off and on again before connecting to your laptop, or remember to use "safely remove hardware".

Z

Sorry this didn't help.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON 3 COMPUTERS RUNNING VISTA.

I fixed it by installing ovi suite after i installed PC Sutie. OVI suite must add some extra drivers.

Works fine on all 3 PC's now in all USB modes

Sorry this didn't help.

Another way is to force device detection on the pc:

Plug in the phone, and select a mode on the handset (if possible)

> Right click on 'my computer' and select manage
(vista users will now have to click that continue button)
> On the left hand side of computer management, click on 'device manager'
> On the right hand side, RIGHT click on the name of your computer, it will be at the root (or the top of the list)
> Select scan for hardware changes.

If the screen 'refreshes' then the scan completed successfully and you should hear that xp noise of plugging a usb to the computer (if it worked correctly).

If it does not find the phone, either see if it is in the list (any errors for the handset will appear expanded automatically so they are not hiding from you).

I have never had to do the above procedure, but it is how i solved a old usb drive from not being picked up by the computer and it was also solved by removing it correctly in the future.

NOTE: the phone must not be in a locked mode, or it wont work!

ALSO: keep 'device manager' open and plug in the handset, if the screen refreshes (similar to you scanning for new hardware) then the phone is communicating with the computer, and the same should occur when you unplug the handset.

Hope it helps
Tony

Message Edited by ant_coe_ on 20-Nov-2008 05:22 PM

Sorry this didn't help.