Question

Q: No SIM Error - Nokia 920 - WP8

Guys,

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 running on Windows 8.

I have a unique problem.
- The SIM Card Detection piece suddenly stopped working. It would say "No Service" or "No SIM" . Same Micro sim would work in other phones

I also tried with a new MicroSIM provided by service provider. In some cases, the signal would show up for some time and then end up in No Signal Mode . This happened in a morning 4 days back though the phone was never dropped !!!

Troubleshooting Tried:
- Clean the SIM and try again
- Try with different SIM
- Reboot the phone
- Soft Reset
- Hard Reset (to factory state)
- For Some SIMs, the SIM would indicate that signal is available, but outgoing /incoming calls cannot be made - stating as Call Dropped

Still the problem prevails. I did not want to void the warranty by updating to 8.1 through developer edition. Now that 8.1 has been released for 925 , the update for 920 should come soon
But I doubt if that can resolve the problem

other functionalities do work - like music, camera etc. But what the fun when the core functionality is failing :)

Phone Warranty:
The phone is less than 2 months old bought from the U.S... Nokia India has refused warranty support for phones
purchased outside of India.

Moderator, please feel free to move this to the right thread if this is not the right one
I dont see an option to initiate a new Thread

Any help or information is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mark

Set your phone to use 2G (GSM) network only (Settings > mobile network (cellular) > Highest connection speed), then make a restart and check if that helped.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

14 people were helped by this reply

Thanks for writing. I tried setting it to 2G . I was little confused as the default start up option was always pointing to 4G.

I will do a restart right away post changing it tonight and then update. Meanwhile  is there anything else that I should be checking?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Your SIM holder is probably damaged. This may require a motherboard replacement.

Sorry this didn't help.

9 people were helped by this reply

Hi Kenny/DimOff, I tried setting the network to 2G under Mobile Connections and did a reboot. It was still at "No Service- No Sim" when it came back after reboot

Tried the same setting with these two actions
1 . After setting the speed as 2G and data connection to No, the phone was soft reset
2. Took out the SIM, ensured that it was clicked to hold strongly

Either ways - It was "No SIM or No Service"
I am surprised that a working phone could suddenly have SIM Module/Motherboard failure.Is there anything else i can check please...
Your time is much appreciated...

Thanks
Anand M

Sorry this didn't help.

I had exactly the same issue on a 920.

When I had it search for networks it could "see" them, but it just wouldn't register with them.

I finally found some information that hinted to the SIM card reader on the 920, (shared with the N9 and L800) was known for having problems.

I bought a replacement part on line, and took it into a cell phone repair shop to have them use their hot air soldering iron to replace the SIM card reader.  It worked!

What I did learn is that actually replacing the part might have been more work than was actually necessary.

There are 12 small solder connections between the SIM card reader and the mother board, one fore and aft of each "prong" connection.  I suspect all I really needed to have done was to use a fine tip on a good old fashioned soldering iron and I could have re-heated each of the connections in turn.  The attached pic shows the back side of the SIM card reader so you can understand where the connections are.

WP_20140729_13_08_59_Pro 1.jpg
If I was able to help, please mark it so.

Sorry this didn't help.

21 people were helped by this reply

after throwing my phone at a wall in frustration i saw that 2 of the 6 contacts on the sim reader were snapped. not sure if this is a result of the wall throwing but if not this was probably why it wouldnt read my sim. Note - throwing doesnt help.

Also if you look on the nokia website there is absolutely nothing about this in the support pages even though this is clearly a common problem, im starting to think they should have recalled this phone but are shying away from the problem. dont worry nokia you've got one less customer to annoy now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Lumia 920

I had the same **bleep**ing problem i was almost going back to nokia the shove that peiece of crap in there **bleep** but solved the issue by just restoring my phone Lumia 920. I will update u if the phone sim card issue was software realted or just it was silly issue to keep the sim in phone in the beginning. Thanks

Restore your phone via this recovery tool

[{(http://www.microsoft.com/en-sa/mobile/support/product/lumia920/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987&category=softwareupdateanddownload)}]

Please remeber to insert your sim in ur phone before you start restoring ur phone :D

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Hi!where did you but the replacement online for the sim card of nokia lumia 920?!

(i have the same problem with my 920😥).

regards

Sorry this didn't help.

Where did you buy online this part for sim reading of lumia 920?!

i have the same problem with my lumia 920.

regards

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Need a new sim

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 15,989 Last updated: July 16, 2018 Applies to: