Lumia 950XL randomly restarting

I had just got my Lumia 950XL on this past Friday, the 27th. My unit keeps restarting for no apparent reason (definitely not for updates). It's really odd, and it even restarted in the middle of being used. These restarts happen every few hours, but it's frequent enough to where it's really bothersome.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Do I have a faulty unit?

The categorization for where this thread is going seems to be insufficient. I'm inclined to believe that this is a hardware problem because I have searched and have not found any other reports of this scenario. If it is a hardware fault, then I have to go travel to the MS store again on a working day and that's just inconvenient.

ADDED:

It appears that this is a software issue.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

phone is working normal now when I make the last update by windows insider app ... I cant believe the phone is very stable now for 2 day's no randomly restart and I used phone by the way make my phone restart before and its look good  :)

keep going MS :))

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm guessing you're on slow inside build? I also notice your firmware is out of date too. In which case you've quite a few updates coming.I hope you also have inside build on your pc or laptop. You'll enjoy it very much :)

A side note anyone else REALLY struggling to type on here using your phone? The delay in typing makes this very hard.

i

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm guessing you're on slow inside build? I also notice your firmware is out of date too. In which case you've quite a few updates coming.I hope you also have inside build on your pc or laptop. You'll enjoy it very much :)

A side note anyone else REALLY struggling to type on here using your phone? The delay in typing makes this very hard.

i

how I can get this update ?! and am using windows recovery tool for updating this firmware and its keeping say that am an up to date .. but just explain how I can get this version on my phone ?!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's the latest fast insider build & firmware look on the windows blog to confirm. I do not know if the firmware is only for insiders . You can ONLY get it by joining the insider build program (look in the store for insider) be very sure that's what you want these are TEST builds and very prone to problems. It can cause you not to be able to make calls/texts although that would be very rare. This warning is real. It's risky to install test software.        

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How I can get this update?

You are on the current Release Branch (10.0.10586.xxx) and went for the app Windows Insider » Insider Release Preview. Microsoft promised to give all bug fixes to 10.0.10586.xxx until end of 2017. However, new features are added to the current Development Branch only (Redstone aka Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update). Gareth is on this Development Branch which you get via the app Windows Insider » Insider Slow or Insider Fast. Because you are about a software bug, I would stick to the Release Branch.

Gareth, with the firmware, just the first two parts matter: 01078.00038. The third part is updated when the firmware is bundled with a newer OS build – that is available via the Recovery Tool only. That is not a newer firmware. It was just updated with a more recent OS build of Windows 10 Mobile (so you do not fall back that much, when applying the Recovery Tool). The fourth part indicates the build for specific regions and/or network operators and depends on your firmware variant (Product Code 059…). That is not a newer firmware, either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with Lumia 950. Also I found out the phone will be restarted by knocking on the screen.
Anyone have the same problem or any solution?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

no. but that definitely sounds like a hardware problem. somewhere earlier in this thread someone solved their restarts by squeezing some paper between the battery and the phone's cover. perhaps you are also experiencing a loose battery jiggling around and losing contact when you hit the screen hard? try to secure the battery firmly in place with some paper.

otherwise: get the phone fixed on warranty.

or maybe your phone is just trying to tell you to be more gentle? :-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine would restart while it was sitting on my desk.  Nobody touched it or moved it, so there was nothing "jiggling" or "knocking on the screen".  One day I was just sitting there watching a video on my computer and I noticed it was restarting out of the corner of my eye.

I will say that after the last software update (build 10.0.10586.318), I haven't experienced this problem (yet).  Although I've noticed a few apps acting strangely, such as the email app crashing occasionally when I open it.

--Aaron

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I have this very strange issue with my L950XL. I think it started two insider fast builds ago. I noticed something was awry when checking for OS updates (in an attempt to update to the latest Fast build) and opening the Store, both of which kept failing. After restarting the phone, it started randomly rebooting itself almost always exactly 1 minute after starting up. Even hard resetting and using the Windows Device Recovery Tool hasn't permanently helped. The same behaviour still takes place.

I am now on 10586.318, so not enrolled in Insider. The phone works well, until after first restart after hard reset (e.g. when settings changes require this*), upon which the phone starts loop-rebooting again, requiring a hard reset. I have also managed to reproduce the problem if I do nothing else other than installing the Insider App after hard reset. It somehow feels like when I change something in the system, things mess up. Another strangeness I have noticed is that the MEID (under About) turns into some weird characters instead of the number sequence that was there before restart.

Anybody have the slightest clue about what's happening?
Note: I am not on 5GHz, neither am I near an AP. Both SD card and SIM card have been removed, and this is not a loose-battery issue.

*Even during OOBE, if I change language and do the mandatory restart, the auto rebooting problem starts happening again, so it has nothing to do with any apps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In your particular case, try doing a recovery using the Microsoft recovery tool. Completely wipe it and start again, if that doesn't fix it - go to your vendor.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 29, 2020 Views 16,172 Applies to: