Lumia 950XL randomly restarting

I had just got my Lumia 950XL on this past Friday, the 27th. My unit keeps restarting for no apparent reason (definitely not for updates). It's really odd, and it even restarted in the middle of being used. These restarts happen every few hours, but it's frequent enough to where it's really bothersome.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Do I have a faulty unit?

The categorization for where this thread is going seems to be insufficient. I'm inclined to believe that this is a hardware problem because I have searched and have not found any other reports of this scenario. If it is a hardware fault, then I have to go travel to the MS store again on a working day and that's just inconvenient.

ADDED:

It appears that this is a software issue.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yes, there is a known problem with 950XL rebooting for no apparent reason. Some people report that it's caused by SD card. But it's not the case with my phone - I had already removed the SD card and hard reset the phone. Restarts came back anyway.

And now I just found a post that claims that it might be related to connecting to AC wifi and suggest to connect to N. I'm going to try that and if this doesn't help I'm returning my phone tomorrow as well.

105 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not so sure it's the hardware, I was experiencing the same rebooting / restarting on my Lumia 950, I simply performed a "reset" via settings>system>about>reset. I downloaded a stopwatch application so I can check to see if my phone has restarted, so far the stopwatch has been running for over 12 hours without a restart. I do not have an SD card installed yet and have been trying to get the phone to restart.

I have been installing apps and testing features and functions trying to get it to restart, so far no issues with restarting. It's been on and off the charger as well as connected to my computer and laptop, still can't get it to restart. Prior to resetting the phone I would be using the camera or some other function and it would just restart. I'm hoping that just performing a reset has resolved the restart / rebooting issue so many Lumia 950/950XL owners are experiencing.

Glenn M. Keawe

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please do report what comes of this.

I'll also try that reboot via settings but later. Got to get through my work day first.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My Lumia 950 has been up and running without restarting or rebooting for 20 hours now, I still have to test the phone after installing an SD card, but for now I'm pretty sure it's stable. I've installed some apps and it's been on and off the charger as well as being connected to my computer, the Bluetooth is operational as it works fine in my car. I've opened and closed apps to see if it will restart but it's still running solid, the stopwatch is still running in the background.

I'm going to get an SD card to see if it will remain stable with an SD card installed. I heard that there might me issues with SD cards installed. I'll keep you updated.

Glenn M. Keawe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I couldn't make it to work due to illness. I'll try your suggestion for factory reset right now and will report back. However, later in the afternoon I am like 5 minutes away from the MS store, it's rather tempting to just trade it in for a new unit.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's understandable, I was pretty close to turning my 950 in but didn't want to get charged AT&T's restocking fee, anyway I just purchased a SanDisk 64GB Micro SD card. I just installed it and resumed the stopwatch app that read 21 hrs. on it. I did power off the unit to install the SD card and then resumed the stopwatch where it left off. The install was about 5 minutes tops. Anyway, I'll see if it has any issues with the 64GB SD card installed.

Glenn M. Keawe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So yesterday evening I disconnected from my AC wifi and connected to another network that runs as N and suddenly all reboots stopped. It's been about 12 hours and so far it looks good. I'll keep watching

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have this option, but isn't a/n/ac faster than b/g/n? Wouldn't we still have issues with other networks? I think that xfinity wifi uses a/n/ac most of the time because, if what you said is true about ac, my device was restarting on those networks when I was out of the house. That's bad news for me as I could have my device restart at a bad time outside.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I just switched my WiFi settings over to the 5GHz band to see if I can get my Lumia 950 to restart or randomly reboot, current time on stopwatch 22 hours 50 minutes and counting, so far no issues encountered after installing SanDisk 64GB Micro SD card. Save locations are set to SD Card. I will update if I encounter a random restart or reboot.

At this point I'm thinking that it's just a firmware issue and that a reset via settings>system>about>reset your phone can resolve the random reboots and restarts, I could be wrong ! but I haven't been able to duplicate the restarts since performing the reset procedure. Keeping fingers crossed !

Glenn M. Keawe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so I checked my phone and noticed that the stopwatch had 1 hour and running, so I guess after placing the WiFi on the 5GHz band it caused it to restart. I'm taking it back to the 2.4GHz band to see if it will stay up and running without a restart.

Glenn M. Keawe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 29, 2020 Views 16,172 Applies to: