Lumia 950 XL battery drain, running hot and bizarre storage problem

Since this seems to be the only channel to get support from Microsoft I'll state my question here.

What's wrong with my Lumia 950 XL battery?

Battery drains in idle (just sitting on the table) from 96% to 64% in 90 minutes and the phone runs quite hot. It is also almost impossible to charge the battery to 100%. The drainage is the same even I have not opened any app after reboot. Hello is not in use. There's no system updates pending or any app being downloaded or updated. 

From settings Battery Use measurement tool shows that the most power hungry apps are Mail and Calendar, Edge and Facebook, although all of them uses battery as background service less than 10% (measured period 1 week). The battery use breakdown shows that System takes 23%, Display 63%, WiFi 8% and Cellular 6% and of those 87% in use and 13% in background.

The battery should last more than few hours after full charge.

Another weird phenomena: I'm having Low storage warnings even there's only one third of the storage space used (9.6 GB used out of 29.1 GB). There's no SD card in use.

Question Info

Last updated July 26, 2019 Views 11,590 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The same problems for me, i fell my leg warn whith the phone on the pocket.

21 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Can Microsoft address battery issues on 950 and 950XL? In 20 minutes my phone went down from 91% to 85% even though I hadn't touched the phone. Why is Microsoft releasing untested software / hardware?

No, I don't want to go through 20 different settings to make sure that the phone battery lasts.  I just want the battery to last the whole day without tinkering with settings, is that too much to ask? 

Is anyone listening? 

rahuld

41 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same issue: battery life is 3 hours (without any use). This has to be some weird bud, since my friend has also the same exact problem with his 950XL

Also I got Low Storage warning even there is 29 GB free.

There is an update available, but when I try to download it, it stucks at 0%.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. I have a Lumia 950XL and a severe battery drain issue. In idle, with all external connections off (wifi, mobile, gps and bluetooth) it went from 100% to shutdown in a little over 6 hours. With wifi connected and normal operations this goes down to under 3 hours. All the time heating like it is processing continuously. It is a portable hand heater... I also get messages of lack of space, I have 6Gb occupied out of 29 Gb available. Worthless as it is. Any suggestions welcome.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue. First few days of using the phone was fine - probably quite good battey life but it's hard to tell when everything is still syncing / apps downloading etc. I started receiving warnings about being out of storage and the phone becomes hot. It now only lasts around 2 hours on battery and the battery saver application claims the display is using 87% of that, despite the display being off the vast majority of the time. Every time I restart I get the warning about storage, despite only using 8GB of 32GB. There's a pending download of an update, but clicking to get more information about the update takes you to an MS page that states there are no updates available for Windows 10 on the phone. Edge also crashes out after a few seconds of use returning me to the start screen - I guess that could be a different problem though...

I'm guessing (and it really is just a guess) that the phone has gotten itself into some kind of loop and really can't see where to download this update to. I'm going out to buy a MicroSD card to see if that will help alleviate the problem. I'll post back either way.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

That is some kind of update bug. Last night phone was finally downloaded the update. After update phone is normal again. No battery drain, phone is not hot and no warnings about low storage.

This must be great update, since update process took several days.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I have the same 2 problems. The 950XL is getting hot (very warm).  After startup (battery competely ran empty) I get the error critcal low storage message. Only 5,56GB used and a 32SD card inserted with more than 50% free.

Hope we get a reaction/slotuin from MS !

Kind regards !

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm glad you finally saw resolution to the issue on your phone. No resolution here. Still running hot, battery still draining, still unable to download apps or updates. My device says it's "up to date," so there are no phone OS updates to install.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

where did you find the update for this problem as i have the same thing going on,saying that storage space was running low? also battery not lasting half a day? also the phone is like a pocket hand warmer all of the time which is draining the battery with the phone switched to flight mode....................................crazy behaviour for the new 950xl microsoft top end mobile

please help

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft should resolve this problem ASAP because my Lumia 950 XL DualSim is also having thoose same problems, battery drains within 2-3 hours, battery wont charge to full it needs like 3 or 4 hours to charge...Hello sensor does not work at all anymore, connecting it to charger sensor goes on and stays turned on for no reason, same thing when unplugging phone from wallcharger...This isout of my mind for device like this to have this major problems. Storage issue pops every 30minutes, my alarm goes on during the day 3 or 4 times randomly. Store is not accesible, and it is freaking hot all the time...my coleague has the 950XL single sim model and same issues reported from him so Microsoft cannot state that my DualSim device is affected with this issue...we need the sollution fast for this...device is not usable any more!!!besides i have 128GB Sandisk MicroSDHC so i have plenty of storage...

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.