Lumia 950 slow after Creators Update

Hi

After installing the creators update my 950 has become "laggy".

The keyboard will not appear on screen when required in Edge.  The requires many screen refreshes.

When toggling windows, the screen will freeze.  This also stops all buttons on the phone from working during this period of freeze.

The phone is now over heating regularly.  I have to close all apps to cool it down and sometimes a restart is required.  I have noticed this overheating is prevalent when using "location".

This maybe unrelated, but "whatsapp" will now crash at random moments.  This never happened before, so worth mentioning.

I have done a soft reset and still all these issues remain.  It's a pain, and frankly it's ruining ,what was, a great UI experience.

Many thanks

Danny

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2019 Views 1,543 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Danny,

Based on the information you have provided on your post, we would suggest that you perform a hard reset. This process will bring your phone back to factory settings, the same state as when the device was first turned on. All apps, messages, media, personal settings, etc will be removed from the phone. To perform, go to Settings  > About > Reset your phone. Please create a backup to avoid data loss.

Let us know if it works out for you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Have the same problem and the reset didn't solve it.

Sorry this didn't help.

No, a reset doesn't help at all. I have the same issues. The issues i experience are worse, the phone has gone to an almost impossible to use. I have already done a reset! 

It is so bad that it would freeze when reading a message or even oven whilst in Phone - unable to dial or even answer a call. I'll try to revert to a previous update and let you know if it helps. If you are experiencing the same issues, resetting the phone doesn't help, regardless of how many people tell you that it will resolve the issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey

didn't help unfortunately. 

this is annoying and to the point where me and my partner (also on WP and experiencing the same issue) are ready to go android. Swore I wouldn't, but this update has ruined the best ui on the market.

I'm going to try and roll back to an old backup and turn off auto update. To me that seems like a rather shabby method.  I was expecting a response that suggested accessing the logs to find out what is causing this. Or something a bit more technical than a glorified "turn it off and on".

Danny

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I experienced the same issues. Resetting, restarting, on/off whatever advice you get from Microsoft experts will not help, tried it all! 

Something that improved performance was switching off Cortana, and pretty much limiting all permissions to OFF - this really did improve performance, however it did not stop overheating, did not stop stalling when writing a text message, did not stop disappearing keyboard and only improved phone freezing for 30sec-1minute, did not stop it.

The way to resolve the issues with my phone was to revert back to 1511 update using the Windows Device Recovery Tool. Apart from reverting back to previous version, unfortunately I couldn't find a way to resolve the constant freezing, disappearing keyboard and the phone becoming very hot. I have been running the previous version for a day without any of the above issues, at all!

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks for your reply. I will do this later today.

Sorry this didn't help.

I face exactly the same issues. After over two weeks I start running out of patience. It's like Microsoft broke my phone remotely. 

It's laggy and unstable now. I switched from Android to Windows in 2012 in order to get a smooth and stable operating system. Now I have a phone with great hardware running an OS as unstable as Android 2.3 running on a low cost phone. 

Since Microsoft broke it I think about a full refund for my device.

Please provide an update or at least a downgrade soon as long as the current version is in  early alpha state.

Sorry this didn't help.

It has been two days since reverting back to 1511 update. The phone has been running normally. obviously there is an issue with the latest update.

Unfortunately there is no way to stop updates. The phone has downloaded the new software and is planning to automatically update this evening, there isn't an option to stop this... 

Sorry this didn't help.

In that case Microsoft should revoke the current version at least for the Lumia 950 and work on an improved version afterwards. The current state is just unacceptable!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Something that improved performance was switching off Cortana, and pretty much limiting all permissions to OFF

I did the same. The device is working much more reliable now. Thanks!

I turned off Cortana, GPS and Bluetooth and closed all my Edge tabs. It's still slower than in previous versions but at least it's working.

Recap: With the latest stable release of Windows 10 Mobile I can't use Cortana or GPS anymore. If I try to use it the phone will freeze, overheat, run out of battery quickly and will just turn off from time to time.

@Microsoft: I'm a customer. Please treat me like that! Are you going to fix my phone by the end of this week? Are you going to give me my money back?

I'm concerned nobody at Microsoft is interested in fixing these problems since it's now two weeks after @LexDel's have-you-tried-turning-it-off-and-on-again-posting.

Sorry this didn't help.