Does Lumia 550 Support USB OTG and USB Peripherals?

Greetings to the community!

I need a windows 10 mobile device for some development work, and Lumia 550 seems to check all the boxes except I am not sure if it supports USB OTG and USB Peripherals like audio and Serial-over-USB. Does anybody know, or if anybody who has the device already could check? Really appreciate the help.

One more question: If the Lumia 550 doesn't, is there a windows phone supporting USB OTG? I know the Lumia 950 & 950 XL does, but that's too much an overkill both budget and feature wise.

Thanks a lot.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2019 Views 7,924 Applies to:
Just got the answer from a very helpful Irish YouTube reviewer. Unfortunately, Lumia 550 does NOT support USB OTG. Good job, Microsoft!

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Switch to Android, as Microsoft want.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I expect the answers are accurate. The only Lumia/WP devices that have had USB OTG are the 950 and 950XL. Those are more due to their use of USB-C and all it offers, than run of the mill OTG. I am curious though, if you have development work that revolves around OTG, USB audio, and Serial over USB, why were you thinking Windows Phone in the first place?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe USB OTG is a different topic from USB-C, OTG only requires the device to have a USB host controller, which, as far as I know (can be wrong), is built in most of the Snapdragon SoC that Windows Phone devices use, so the only question is whether or not Microsoft is willing to enable it. Just as a reference, Android natively supports OTG on the OS level since 3.x (with USB host API).

950 & 950XL supports USB Dual-role which made Continuum possible, yet again, USB Dual-role is another topic.

Why am I thinking of Windows phone in the first place? First of all, I am proudly a Microsoft developer, I code in C# on UWP. Secondly, my project requires a smaller device with touch screen and can run Windows 10 (for UWP support), my initial thought was to use Raspberry Pi or Dragonboard with Windows IoT Core, but that platform has limited touch screen support, therefore my next logic choice would be a off-the-shelf Windows Phone device.

For now, I can get by using Bluetooth to connect the Windows Phone and the Arduino boards, which is kinda ridiculous, since the phone and Arduino boards reside in one housing enclosure but communicate wirelessly through Bluetooth. 

Think about this. Microsoft is pushing into IoT market, a 160 dollar or cheaper Windows phone with OTG support is a perfect platform for developing IoT projects. I can understand the trouble of enabling OTG on older devices, but it's inexcusable for Lumia 550 to not support it, especially when Microsoft is marketing the W10M a platform for productivity. Seems to me, this is just another example of lacking communication between phone hardware team and OS team. USB OTG is also critical for all the 3rd party phone accessory developers, if you want a flourishing accessory eco-system like the iPhone does, only 2 phones (950 & XL) supporting USB accessory is not enough.

Sorry this didn't help.

1) Because a Lumia 550 is prize unbeatable as an IoT device or as an IoT controller/tool (Lumia 640 is 50$)

2) because I don't want to tell my clients to buy Android devices to connect to their legacy hardware via RS232 (even if I own Xamarin and I can develop an Android tool too, I love WP!!).

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe this will answer the question Link to Amazon

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

w indows10 550 phone supporting USB OTG?

Sorry this didn't help.

w indows10 550 phone supporting USB OTG?

No, it does not.

----------------------------------------------------------------
"Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."

Sorry this didn't help.