Developer Preview Program FAQ - Get Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 today

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary
This wiki article answers the most frequent questions concerning the Windows Phone Developer Preview program and getting early access to Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1.
Details

What is the Developer Preview Program?

The Developer Preview program gives the developer community early access to new Windows Phone updates. This will give you, as a developer, time to test your apps with new OS versions ahead of the official roll-out. This is only Windows Phone OS updates and does not include manufacturer firmware updates. The update is labeled Preview but is extensively tested and is at least a RTM candidate. This is not a beta program.

How can I join the Developer Preview program and update to Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 today?

1. In order to take part in the Developer Preview program you need to be a registered developer. Either register as a Windows Phone developer or as an App Studio developer. If you choose to register as a Windows Phone developer, you need to download the developer tools and developer unlock your phone
  2. To setup your phone to search for previews, install the Preview for Developers app on your phone and accept the terms and conditions in the app. After enabling the preview through the app, you may uninstall the app from your device.
  3. Finally check for updates on your phone: Settings > phone update > check for updates (after the install finishes, make sure you check again since there may be more than one update pending.)

Is the developer preview version the same as the one in the official RTM roll-out?

If any critical issues are found in the preview they will be fixed before RTM.

Will I still get the official update when it rolls out?

Yes, if the official RTM is a new build, you will receive it. You will also get any manufacturer firmware updates separately.

Can I roll-back my phone to the latest official version?

Only Nokia phones can be rolled back by flashing the phone with the latest official release. This is done using Nokia Software Recovery Tool. No other manufacturers are supplying such tool (yet).

Where can I turn to if I run into problems with the Developer Preview?

Visit the official Developer Preview support forums.

Will the Developer Preview void my warranty?

You may void any warranty of your mobile operator and OEM.

Will the installation erase my phone?

No. The update will only update the OS. All apps, games, images, settings, etc., will remain the same.

What are the pre-requisites of the Developer Preview?

Apart from being a registered developer, your phone has to be running Windows Phone OS 8.0.10322.71 or newer (check your OS version under Settings > about > more info). If you have an older version of the OS on your phone, check Settings > phone update to see if a more recent update is available. If not, contact your carrier (or OEM if your phone is unbranded) to find out when they plan to roll-out a newer version.

Where can I find more information on the Developer Preview program?

Head over to the official Developer Preview site.

Is there any other way I can get Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 early?

No. You will have to wait for the official roll-out for your carrier (or OEM if you phone is unbranded) in the your region.

I'm 100% sure that the device is Developer Preview enabled but I'm still not getting the update?

A small number of devices need a firmware update from the OEM/carrier before they can receive the update.

Please click "Me Too" if you found this Wiki article useful. Thanks!

Forum Article Info

Last updated April 22, 2020 Views 20,605 Applies to: