WP8 IPV6 Issues

Ever since purchasing a Lumia 900, I noticed that certain sites would take an extremely long time to resolve/load on my windows phone device. I upgraded to the Lumia 920 and am now using the 1020 and have tried three different routers over the same time period (D-Link DIR655, Linksys EA4500, Netgear R6300, and am currently using the Netgear R7000).

• My network configuration is a 2Wire 3800HGV-B provided by my ISP (AT&T U-verse), and my Netgear R7000 sits behind the gateway in DMZ
  • The sites/services most affected are Facebook, YouTube, and Wikipedia and only occurred when the phone was connected to my Wi-Fi network
  • iPhone and Android devices never exhibited the same issue on my network
  • I recently realized that the issue only occurs when IPV6 is enabled on my router
  • I don't think my ISP officially supports IPV6 and I'm pretty sure the 2Wire gateway doesn't either
  • I think I can request a new gateway that does support IPV6 but I'm not 100% sure it will fix the problem

My question: why do only WP8 devices exhibit the slow address resolution/loading for certain websites and services on my network while IPV6 is enabled? Is there any way to fix this or will I be forced to keep IPV6 disabled.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2018 Views 593 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Based on your notes, the following is my understanding.

1. It is not a router issue - you have switched multiple routers.

2. It is not an ISP issue - other phones are able to connect without a problem.

That leaves only one point of issue, and that is an entire range of windowsphone devices. I wish I could test this out but my own router and my ISP does not support IPV6. Looks like you will have to keep IPV6 disabled for now.

Side Note - You have mentioned that your ISP does not officially support IPV6. that means, your internet service is strictly IPV4. In effect, by enabling IPV6 you are getting additional benefits of IPV6 only for LAN usage, which cannot be all that much to write home about.

Unless and until your ISP starts supporting IPV6, I see no possible gain or loss by enabling or disabling IPV6 on your router.

Exciting times lie ahead of us! 510, 520, 820, Acer W4 & 1520 (the most awesome phone in the world)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.