WP 8 - Messenger Keeps Signing Out After Phone is Idle or Locked for Long Time

I am having issues with Messenger keeps signing out on its own after I leave the phone idle or not in use for some time. After long idle time, when I click on the Messaging Tile, I will see that the Messenger will start "Connecting" / "Checking who is online" .. which should mean that the Messenger is reestablishing connection. I have ensured that my data connection is on and battery saver is turned off.

I also double checked this, as I have a Desktop Messenger program which allows me to see how many places I am signed in to. I noticed something was wrong when I had NOT signed out on Messenger on my phone, and my Desktop Messenger only showed me as signed in on desktop on not phone. Once I start the WP8 Messaging app, it started "Connecting" again, and my Desktop Messenger will show that I am signed on m Windows Phone too.

Prior to WP 8, I am a user of the WP 7 & 7.5. The Messenger will always keep signed in as long as data connection is left on. And even in times when data connection is off for a while, I never encountered instances where Messenger will only start "Connecting" when I start the App.. I assume in WP 7 / 7.5, if connection is lost, Messenger will always reconnect on its own without having me starting the Messaging app again.

I don't want to be clicking on the WP 8 Messenger App all the time to ensure that I am signed in to my Messenger or keep re-signing in again throughout the day. It should be signed on at ALL times even if phone is idle or locked.

Did anyone encounter the same issue? and also can team help fixed this pls? Thanks!  

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2019 Views 9,138 Applies to:

Hi WeiM,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Answers.

Does this issue only happen with Messenger, does it happen with other data connections?

Have you tried in a WiFi zore to see if it happens there as well?

Best regards

Jon Me

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm having a similar issue.  While the phone is in use, I can chat normally and appear as online.  But if I go to idle, my contacts say I am offline. 

Sometimes I set my status to offline and phone has to reconnect to set it, even though I'm on 4G with four or five bars.  On WP7, I could set my status and it would update instantly, but on WP8, I can update it, but it may not "stick" after reconnecting, thus requiring me to set my status again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem. I`ve Tried everything, on wlan->no difference, on charger->no difference. It seems messenger signs out after 2 min idle. Sometimes it drops while changing chat window. I guess this problem has something to do with energy saving. The messenger application is not listed as allowed background process in the settings.  You can´t add it as one, so it seems it depends  if the software delevoleper, in this case microsoft, has designed it as allowed background process...Hopefully software update will fix this annoying issue.

EDIT: Btw my friends phone works just fine and stays online when idle, only difference is that the last eight digits in firmware version are 1244.3001 as mine are 1246.0001.

EDIT2: It´s not only with messenger, I tried nimbuzz and the situation was same.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issues on my Nokia Lumia 920. My friends who have the same phone do not have this problem. When I go into the messaging app thats when it reconnects me and i receive all the messages that was send to me ages ago. 

I checked the settings and there is no options to leave the messenger on. I went in to the wifi settings and the remain connected to wifi is turned on too. So what's the problem here? 

I would appreciate if anyone can help me solve this.  I have a lot of friends on messenger and do a lot of chatting but this problem has been really annoying as i get signed out everytime the phone goes to idle.

Thanks.

74 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here, extremely annoying. Resorting to use Facebook chat as that one stays signed in, although would prefer messenger as you can send photos and videos. Lumia 920 on Rogers with all latest updates.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to say I think I have "solved" it.

you and the person you are talking to have to always be appearing as "available". if this is so then it works pretty well. nothing is perfect as it is obviously a complex system but I have to say it now works pretty well.

I can now message through text, facebook or messanger seamlessly and switch between Windows 8 messanger (on metro) and the phone and it all works as hoped.

but yes, you have to be "available"

Sorry this didn't help.

Okey now, i noticed  that it´s possible that the problem is in microsoft account. After I tried to use messenger in ipad imo, i started to appear as offline to everybody and everybody appeared offline also to me. I was wondering wtf? I signed in web messenger/hotmail and went to the contacts. I removed some of my messenger friends contacts and added them again and requested them to be my messenger friends. That helped and they came back visible to me and I to them.

Now, I assume that swapping  between windows live messenger app on computer, ebuddy on my ex phone galaxy s, web messenger(hotmail) and lumia´s messenger will mess up the situation! Now when i use lumia´s messenger and occasionally sign in hotmail to chat, i´ve noticed that everytime couple of my friends is "appear offline to this person"-state. I click "appear online to this person" and everything works fine. Still, I have to sometimes remove and add some friends again in contacts because they have disappeard from my messenger and i know they suppose to be online :D annoying..

How ever, I´ve also noticed that as long as I use ONLY lumia´s messenger and do not swap between other messengers like hotmail or windows live messenger on computer everything works fine and lumias´s messenger stays online. How ever, IF I use other messenger apps and swap back to lumia´s messenger it keeps signing out,,BUT if I boot the phone everything works fine AGAIN.

At least I have my microsoft account in various applications, like xbox live, hotmail, wp8, nimbuzz, ebuddy so on....So it is possible the account gets messed up.

sorry for this complicated reply, but the situation with this issue, indeed seems to be quite complicated :)

Shortly put:
Try this,
1.Remove/add your contacts  in microsoft account, and reguest them to be your messenger friends(this works without your friend has to click accept to this)
2. Boot your lumia. Dont´t use any other messenger apps than lumia´s.
3. Follow up, and u propably notice that messengers stays online all the time, hopefully :)

Sorry this didn't help.