Windows Phone 8, Lumia 520, GMail sync not working

I bought Lumia 520 with Windows Phone 8. All is fine, but gmail - it won't connect to gmail, synchronize anything (mails, contacts). All it does is asks me for username and password, which I provide, then tries to synchronize and finally asks me for password again.

I've tried setting it up both as gmail account and as Sync/Exchange account, to no avail. I'm confident I'm providing it with good credentials.

I looked at m.google.com/sync but it does not help at all - it shows link on how to sync using Windows Phone but there's nothing there. POP3 and IMAP on Gmail are enabled.

System is updated to latest version (8.0.10517.150) - this did not help at all. Also - I'm trying to do this while connected to WiFi network or cellular one with no difference.
Other accounts, like twitter or facebook, connected quickly and with no issues at all.

Any idea on what's going on here? I've been looking at some other answers but nothing helped.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2019 Views 38,965 Applies to:
Answer
Do you have 2-step verification enabled on your google account? If yes, then you have to go to your account > security > app-specific passwords and generate an application specific password. This is the password you have to enter in your windows phone and then the synchronization will happen. Please check this out.

67 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi Pako1337,

Thank you for posting in the forum.

I understand that you cannot sync your Gmail email to your Nokia Lumia 520. All others accounts works fine.

I would recommend to remove it again from your phone and set it up from scratch.

If it does not help, I would suggest to contact Google support regarding your account.

Thanks for your contribution to the forums!

Kind Regards,

Michal TR

41 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.