MMS Fails "Can't send" error message

I cannot say I ever had a lot of success with MMS on the Windows Phone platform but suddenly one day I kept getting "Can't send" error messages on every picture I sent no matter who the contact was. I tried everything from:
1) airplane mode on/off
2) data connection on/off
3) hard reset and soft reset

no matter what i did nothing worked until I went into "Access Point" and changed from "AT&T 3G" to "AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia" ... my messages were also failing on the LTE 1 option, but for whatever reason they appeared to be sent & received just fine on LTE 2 ... so I called tech support and after a long rendezvous of awful - painfully awful - cluelessness, the rep decided i should do a complete factory restore & try again. I didn't want to believe this but sure enough I went for it and ended up restoring my phone from zero. Messages were STILL failing unless i manually set the Access Point to the LTE 2 option.

This was happening on my Lumia 920 and since I was able to upgrade I decided this weekend to upgrade to the Lumia 1020 ... now I'm on a new phone, ALSO new SIM card. Would you believe that I'm having the SAME error with MMS failing to go through on the default "AT&T 3G" setting? Tech support doesn't see anything wrong with my account, and I've ran out of options here. Has anyone here experienced this? thoughts/help?

Thanks in advance...
Alex

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2019 Views 10,091 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

RESOLVED -- ALTHOUGH NOT IDEAL --

Method 1:

Reset your phone to factory settings BUT do not restore from backup. Particularly, do not restore SMS & Chat history.

Method 2:

Delete all messaging threads from your phone. Yes, as much as you'd like to keep any of these, they are causing the problem if you have several long conversations saved. You may try deleting one by one and testing in between to see if it starts working but I recommend deleting all threads and starting fresh. Best chance to fix the issue this way.

Known issue:

if your email stops syncing after this, disable SMS and Chat backup from Messaging settings. Then go to Outlook.com and delete anything and everything under the "messaging history" section. Give it a few hours and then attempt to turn backup back on. Should your issue continue, change your account password from the web and update your phone settings with the new password.

-- TECHNICAL DETAILS --

This is an issue with restoring SMS & chat from backup. Messaging gets corrupted and renders the phone incapable of receiving MMS. The sure-shot solution is to delete every last thread in your messaging history OR reset your phone without restoring from backup. Contacting the mobile operator did nothing as they verified the phone was not sending the signal to the towers to download the MMS. again, this is due to Windows Phone system corruption and NOT the service provider. Common misconception here because my phone and sim card were replaced multiple times AND messaging would not fail when using service from another phone (again, proving the Windows OS was unable to fetch MMS with my corrupt messaging history). Immediately after deleting all my conversation history, MMS started working. I'm sorry, but this is absolutely an issue that others are having and it appears to be misdiagnosed every time.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.