How to log out of wifi - properly

I live in an apartment, and I have a WLAN connection that requires a username and a password, and it's only available for one device at a time. I logged into the WLAN with my Nokia Lumia 520 and haven't been able to log in on my laptop ever since. I logged out with my phone and even turned off the WLAN completely, but when I try to log in with my laptop it always says: You are already logged in - access denied. I've tried everything; turning off my phone, turning my laptop off and on again etc, but nothing seems to be working.. What do I do? I want to use the internet on my laptop rather than my phone.
Answer
Answer
If you turn off Wifi (Settings > Wi-fi) in your phone, the phone is definitely not connected to your Wifi. It is impossible. So the problem is something else.
Please click "Me Too" if you found my answer helpful. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @ThisIsMetro

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
As 7thSense posted, if you turned off your phone, the problem isn't with the phone.  The problem is that your WLAN is caching the connection from the phone and isn't checking to see if it's actually still connected.  Do you have a cable mode or router than can be rebooted?

Are you connected to someone else's wireless router?  Tell them that you can't connect and them clear the connection from their end. Then ask them for the procedure for clearing the connection from your end.  Also ask for a second user account so you can use your phone on Wi-Fi at the same time.

Do you also have a wired connection? I would just get a cheap Wi-Fi router and plug it into the wired connection and avoid the one device limitation.  

Chris Miller @anotherlab
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP since 2013
Please click "yes" if you found my answer helpful

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2020 Views 9,559 Applies to: