How to export contacts from Windows Phone to PC

Technical Level : Basic

Summary
This wiki article walks you through the procedure of exporting your contacts from your Windows Phone device (e.g. Nokia Lumia) to your PC.
Details

With Windows Phone, all your contacts are stored in the cloud. This is very convenient when you switch phones or lose your phone. Why? Because all your contacts and their information remain intact and will automatically sync to your new or reset device. This also means that you can browse your contacts and edit their details at any time on any device:

https://people.live.com

So basically there is no need to backup your contacts to your PC. Sometimes, however, you need all your contacts and their details exported to a text file on your PC. This can easily be achieved:

Step 1:

Open this URL in Internet Explorer (or the browser of your choice):
https://people.live.com

Step 2:

Login with the same Microsoft Account used as the main account on your Windows Phone.

Step 3:
Choose Export for Outlook.com and other services from the Manage-menu (see image).

Step 4:

Your browser will prompt you to save a CSV-file (comma separated values). This is the exported file containing all your contacts and their information. Save it to a location of your choice.

Note:

You can also export your contacts to an SD card (if your phone have a SD card slot) using the contacts+message backup app.

Please click "Me Too" if you found this Wiki article useful. Thanks!

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 17, 2019 Views 394,894 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Oh Lord have mercy! What if you've lost your live id password, don't use the alternative email you registered with anymore and never used live id for emails and so can't prove who you are by identifying old passwords or email subjects etc?

No need to backup contacts to PC because the cloud is perfect I suppose?

How do I backup locally without Internet ?

I am trying to format a windows phone so I can change the original account, since one can not change it w/o doing a full reset to the phone. Funny thing is, this device does not belong to me but a 83 year old lady and she can not remember her original account details. But when I try to save the contacts with your brilliantly made windows phone program for PC it does not saves the contacts locally to my PC. Oh the extra fun part is, when I try to save the pictures and videos and etc. that awesome program of yours does not even show the directory, so I have to manually reach those files. For the love of everything that is holy please PLEASE stop making phones.

Thank you.

hi,

did u find any solution to your problem ?

OK

It's real easy.

You are going to need a large notepad a pen or pencil and a whole bunch of patience.

The manual method is the only way.

Copy them out one at a time then type them back in one at a time.

Because windows phones are so 1990's.

its good , to have these of help from microsoft which make things easy, thanks its was every helpful and easy
Using some android assistant app can help backup android phone contacts to computer .Not only contacts ,but also messages ,photos,videos .And android assistant can allow manage ,edit android data on pc.
Excellent, BUT, one of my oldest contacts, for whom I have phone number details in my Win8 Lumia 620 - all you have for him on your super-duper Windows Live People list - is his name. No contact information whatsoever.

I have many hundreds of contacts in my phone - numbers, addresses, the usual stuff. I'm a plumber. New phone arrives tomorrow. Thankfully, it's an Android.

However, without checking every single one of my contacts, one by one, I'm not going to know those for whom you have chosen not to store any contact info for. Brilliant. Way to go ...

I will NEVER get a Windows phone again. This, (copying contacts) aspect, (quite apart from all the quirky and weird ways Windows phones "work", in order to be different from *proper* phone operating systems) is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing anyone would want to do when changing phones. You've managed to right royally screw that up. Amateurs! 

hi,

This is absolutely no help at all.  People want a simple method to transfer contacts from a cell phone to their PC without a lot of BS from people who either don't know what they are talking about or do not know how to explain themselves.

If the phone's data cable can be used to connect to the PC to send a back up copy of contacts to that PC, then say so!

How stupid to ramble on and on.

hi,

This is absolutely no help at all.  People want a simple method to transfer contacts from a cell phone to their PC without a lot of BS from people who either don't know what they are talking about or do not know how to explain themselves.

If the phone's data cable can be used to connect to the PC to send a back up copy of contacts to that PC, then say so!

How stupid to ramble on and on.

I know my answer sounded a little jokey but it is, unfortunately, true.

There is currently no way to transfer contacts back and forward to your windows PC from your windows phone.

The manual method is the only way.  (Other than writing some bespoke code yourself.)

We can hope for better in the future but don't hold your breath.