How can I sync Internet Explorer 11 Favorites saved on Win10 PC with my Windows 8.1 phone?

* Original Title: How do I get the list of IE FAVs to sync with my new Smartphone's FAVs?

* (Lumia 600 series)

I got my first Smartphone a few weeks ago and I set it up. It is a Windows 8.1 phone. But I've noticed that even though my list of IE Favorites is in there, the ones that I've added since the day that I set up the new phone aren't synced in.
I read somewhere that only happens if you're using IE-10 on your PC that also has Outlook.com in it since the FAVs are stored in a Folder in MY DOCS. Well my PC gets automatic updates from Windows Update and it has IE-11 on it.

Can I uninstall IE-11 somehow and then install IE-10 from a download somewhere and then set Windows Update to ignore ever updating IE, at least for now, until they fix this bad deal for US users?
I'm a lifelong supporter of Microsoft/Windows stuff and others have said in many places to switch browsers so that your FAVs can sync into your Smartphone. That's not really what I want to do.
In trying to do this myself, I can't find any places in my Control Panel's ADD/REMOVE to uninstall IE-11.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community Forum.

Please be assured that we would do our best to assist you.

With Internet Explorer settings sync, you can now sync your Favorites list, history, and browser settings. In order to sync the favorites saved in Internet Explorer between devices, you should be logged in with a Microsoft account this does not matter if it is Internet Explorer 10 or 11. Hence there is no necessity to Uninstall Internet Explorer 11.

Hence, I suggest you to Enable the Sync settings on the computer and make sure you are logged in with the same Microsoft account on the computer and the phone. To enable the Sync settings on the computer refer the steps below: (You may also find the Screenshot below)

1. Press Windows key + C.
  2. Click on Settings.
  3. Click on Change PC settings.
  4. Select Sync your settings.
  5. Turn on Sync settings on this PC.
  6. Under Browser, turn on Settings and info like history and favorites.

If you're not seeing your full Favorites list on the phone, go into Favorites and tap the Folders app bar button. By default, your phone-based Favorites are in a folder called Phone in Favorites, and that's the default view in Windows Phone. But you can view and access the full list if you prefer.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

2. Click on Settings.
  4. Select Sync your settings.
  5. Turn on Sync settings on this PC.
  6. Under Browser, turn on Settings and info like history and favorites.

I only got to your step 4 since I couldn't find what you'd said that I'd find. This is what I see and I searched thru everything on it and couldn't find anything called Sync Your Settings:

* I really appreciate any personal help I'm given. I can get lost sometimes if I'm just told to go to a website to learn on my own. I always try to give whatever info I think might be important.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

Follow the steps below to Enable the Sync settings on the computer:

2. Click on Settings.
  4. Click on OneDrive.
  5. Click on Sync settings.
  6. Turn on Sync your settings on this PC.
  7. Under Browser, turn on Settings and info like history and favorites.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Giridhar but I still have a problem. I was excited to get your Reply but when I did what you said, SYNC SETTINGS and SYNC THIS PC along with SETTINGS, FAVORITES & HISTORY was already set to ON which I'm sure that I'd done in the recent past trying to fix this deal.

When I clicked on the link to see the files, it had me enter my password for my outlook.com email address and then it said in the upper right of the screen "Uploading xx%" which took about 5 or 10 minutes. I was excited but once again it hasn't changed anything.

After it was done and said "All File Are Up To Date" I clicked on File Storage which says that I have "29.7 GB Available of 30 GB" and I saw this image:

Here's a PrintScreen (that I turned sideways to save space here at this site) of another place that I just did that shows what OneDrive of what it has for my IE Favorites:

But here's a PrintScreen (that I turned sideways to save space here at this site) of the current FAVORITES in the dropdown in my Internet Explorer 11. You'll see that the list that says that is was synced isn't this current list. It is one from a few months ago. I has many of the same Folders but you can see that I've added several and even renamed a few:

This isn't making any sense to me. I sure hope that you can help me fix this mess so I can trust it and use it in the future with any new PCs and with my new Smartphone which is my first one.

* I really appreciate any personal help I'm given. I can get lost sometimes if I'm just told to go to a website to learn on my own. I always try to give whatever info I think might be important.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've caught on to what is happening but I'd like to ask for help in resolving it. I must have moved where my FAVs are stored at some point or maybe Microsoft did themselves.

I'd noticed in the past a folder in My Docs named Favorites. Maybe I put it there somehow or maybe some former version of IE did that such as IE-10? I just looked in My Docs > Favorites and I see that same OLD list of Favorites one that I put an image of above that is also the one that OneDrive is apparently finding and syncing to. That is also the list of FAVs that shows up in my Smartphone.

But the true list of IE-11 FAVs that I'd really like to have synced into my Smartphone thru OneDrive is the newer one that IE-11 must be storing somewhere else.

I'm kind of a dummy about this stuff. I just want to ask for some help in dealing with this. At some point, that old list of FAVs must have been copied into the new location the IE-11 uses now but OneDrive is still thinking that it should sync to that old list that are saved in that folder in My Docs.

This might also explain why sometimes I've click on a old FAV up in my FAV BAR or in one of my FAV Folders and it pops a box asking me what program I want to use to open it with. That hasn't ever made any sense to me but I just got around it somehow every time. It didn't happen too often.

Somy 2 new Questions will be:

1. HOW DO I TELL ONEDRIVE THAT MY ACTUAL FAVORITES ARE IN THE NORMAL PLACES AND NOT IN THAT FOLDER IN MY DOCS?

2. WHERE IS ONEDRIVE GETTING THAT INFO AND HOW DO I RESET IT SINCE THE FAVORITES ARE NOW STORED IN THE NORMAL PLACE?

I'D ASSUME THAT I WILL JUST DELETE THAT FOLDER OF FAVORITES IN MY DOCS AFTER THIS IS ALL WORKING.

Sorry this didn't help.

Giridhar, could you please give me a bit more help on this even though your Reply has been marked as THE ANSWER?

My last Reply that I made yesterday is my asking for help after giving some more info.
I've thought about what I've found and the only explanation that I can come up with for why I find that folder named FAVORITES in My Docs is that I used to use something to backup the Favorites so that just in case I had another issue with my PC or wanted to move to another, that I'd have them safely stored on an external hard drive that holds my backups.

But this must have confused the situation so that the old list of Favorites is what was installed into my new Smartphone that I got for Christmas and it still syncing into it.

Could you please help me either sync that old file of Favorites to the new one or preferable just delete it and stop using it by redirecting my cell phone to sync the newest set of Favorites that IE uses on my PC?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jeff,

Apologies for the delayed response.

I suggest you to copy the old Favorites and paste it in the new Favorites folder which is currently synchronizing with the phone.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the Reply. I got busy fighting other issues so I hadn't read this until now.

I'm not sure you understand my deal since I think that what you said is backwards.

I want the new Favorites that I see in IE on my computer to sync into my phone. I don't want the old ones which are in a Folder stored in My Docs on my computer that I think I set up at some point in the past when I used to use the Backup Favs APP built by Microsoft that put an entry in the File column in IE. I'd set it with the Browse feature that was built into it to store them in a Folder in My Docs so that my backup software would keep a backup copy on my E: drive.

I haven't hardly ever used IE on my Smartphone and for sure I've never added a Favorite on my Smartphone but I'd just like to have my Favorites handy and with me if I ever do want to use one while I'm out somewhere.

So the list of Favorites that is the most current is the one that IE stores somewhere on my computer that I don't even know and that is the one that I want to sync into my Smartphone. But for some reason, perhaps when I initially set up this new Smartphone that I got for Christmas, it found a folder in My Docs called My Favorites and it synced them in.
So you can now probably see my problem .... I add new Favorites in IE on my PC and they don't end up in my Smartphone which is my first one that I've ever had.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm going to start a new Question on this. This is still a mess for me. So I thought that starting a new Question would bring more attention to it than just asking for more help here especially since I'd marked this as Answered months ago. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Could I please have some help still even though this had been marked as Answered? I've removed them as it has never worked yet for me.

I was told here to:

Follow the steps below to Enable the Sync settings on the computer:

2. Click on Settings.
  4. Click on OneDrive.
  5. Click on Sync settings.
  6. Turn on Sync your settings on this PC.
  7. Under Browser, turn on Settings and info like history and favorites.

But Windows key + C gives me this small Cortana box

and I can't even type into it and saying "settings" doesn't give me anything at all and that box just closes. Then I open Cortana and type in settings and I click MY STUFF but still it doesn't give me anything that I can click Change PC Settings on. It gives me some useless junk even then and if I scroll down and click on Settings, I get this and nowhere does it say Change PC settings:

What should I do? Where am I going wrong?

Is there any way to delete all of the 100 or so old FAVs out of my Windows phone and just import the new ones since syncing just isn't in the cards for me even though I've worked on it at times for a year now?

I'm no dumbo and I've actually always considered myself somewhat tech savvy. But I sure can't figure this one out and I've even been asking for help for almost a year.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2020 Views 14,969 Applies to: