Question

Q: WP 8.1 Backup Error: "There was a problem ..."

Lumia 620 Black, 8.1. GDR1 continues to show "There was a problem backing up your phone, please try again later" error message whenever I initiate a manual backup. Periodically the phone continues to remind me to make a backup. When I check Onedrive/Settings/Options/Backups there appears to be some backup but no idea if this is complete or not. Cannot risk hard resetting device as I don't have access to a Windows 7+ PC for the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. Sadly GDR1 update has not resolved the problem. Can you tell me how to fix this error or when Microsoft who have been aware of the issue for a long time now are going to fix the problem?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks, but I've tried all that.  It's always plugged in on charge when I try and I've deleted old backups countless times. I've tried two different wifi connections and my data connection - still fails

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry about the slow progress with this reply, make sure nothing is running in the background, press and hold the back button and close all apps then try again with the same "settings" as I stated above then try again. If this doesn't work then turn your phone and on again then try again without running any applications first (try closing the settings page in the multitasking window as well)

No longer active user, will not reply to direct replies.

Sorry this didn't help.

Backup went normally then stopped at 95%, went to 97% then failed

Usually it's 96% it stops at not 95.

Still the backup FAILED :(

Sorry this didn't help.

I would suggest to keep trying there isn't much more you can do, sorry.

Sorry this didn't help.

wow really?  I can't believe that something as important as backup can fail and there not be a solution or a fix from Microsoft.  Since so many people were having this issue especially there should be at least a history of backups on One Drive, so that be deleting the last backup you are not getting rid of your one good backup, even if it does end up being from a month previous - it is a lot better than not having a backup at all.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can do the backup manually as in not do a backup, the backup saves the following items: Photos, text history, cal history, contacts, settings and apps. You will definitely lose the text history and call history but items such as the photos and contacts are done automatically at the time such as taking a photo and saving a contact (depending on the settings for the photos) but you can cross reference the photos and contacts with the ones on your Microsoft account on people.live.com and OneDrive.com, as for the settings this will save the theme that you're using and other similar options and finally the apps, you can take a list of the apps that you have installed and install them later, even if some of these apps are paid then in 8.1 the paid apps will noted and you won't need to pay for them again. Hopefully this is helpful and just to let you know, I have actually needed to do this method myself.

Sorry this didn't help.

I need the app data to be backed up

I can backup all the other stuff.  I need to do an actual backup though to save the data from the apps, I know I can download apps again, but it won't save the progress in games and other data. That can't be redone.  :(

The thing that gets me is it was fine with Windows 8.1 Preview for Developers and then started failing when they made it 8.1 Update

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my Lumia 820 with Prev Update.

Went to 97% then failed.

I tried many things but nothing worked.

What is happening? A problem with the backup system in Microsoft's servers?

Edit : I have remove some apps and now, they went to 96% and fail.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Hello all:

At this point there are two things that have been know to help resolve the issue.  One is to delete the current back up and then try creating a new back up.  In some cases there are some corrupted files, links or posts in the current back up.

The other thing is to delete applications from your phone one at a time and try the back up after each.  It has been found by several others that the issue creating the back up is a specific application.  Many have specifically mentioned the Live lockscreen beta application.  Others have found other apps to be the culprit.  If there is an issue with a specific application on your phone that is preventing the update, there is no fix that can be brought out to get around this.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mark W.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mark,

Thank's a lot for your response !

I have remove the Live lockscreen beta app, reboot my phone, delete the backup and try to make a new one.

And... it worked ! =D

Thank's a lot ! I'm happy & safe now ! =D

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3,444 Last updated: July 2, 2018 Applies to: