Reset operation stuck on spinning gears - Solution

Technical Level : Basic

Summary
This wiki article walks you through the procedure needed if your phone should get stuck showing spinning gears while performing a factory reset on your Nokia Lumia.
Details

When you reset your Windows Phone 8 handset (Settings > about > reset your phone) it normally takes 30 minutes, at most, to finish. A known issue (especially with some Nokia Lumia phones) is that this process gets stuck and the gears keep on spinning for hours.

If this should happen to you, try the following steps:

1. Make sure your phone is charged (put it on charger to be sure)
  2. Press and hold the volume down + power buttons until your phone vibrates and restarts
  3. As soon as the Nokia logo appears, press the following buttons one at a time in a sequence:
    Volume up
    Volume down
    Power
    Volume down

The Nokia logo should briefly disappear and then come back (if the keys are pressed correctly). The spinning gears will then return for another 5-15 minutes before your device comes back with the Welcome screen.

If the gears should keep spinning for more than 30 minutes again, you should perform a hard reset using the key method. To do this press and hold the power-, volume-down- and camera buttons until the phone vibrates. Then release the power-button and keep the other two buttons pressed for another five seconds. The spinning gears will then return for another 5-15 minutes before your device comes back with the Welcome screen.

Alternative for worst case scenarios

If the above solution does not fix your problem, Nokia has released a tool called Lumia Software Recovery Tool. Using the tool, you can recover your phone if you have software update problems, your phone is not responding, appears to be stuck or isn't starting. Read more about this in the following Wiki article:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/wiki/wp8-wpupdate/how-to-fix-a-nokia-lumia-that-has-frozen-or-wont/27a32cf5-96cf-4447-878c-309ca2e45654

Too complex or can't get it to work?

If this is too complex or you just can't get it to work, contact your local service center.

Please click "Me Too" if you found this Wiki article useful. Thanks!

Forum Article Info

Last updated April 3, 2020 Views 156,008 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

well well....now my lumia is correctly working after trying it two times....now its in perfect condition...thanks a lot for this article :)
Glad to hear that! :)
Please click "Me Too" if you found my answer helpful. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @ThisIsMetro

My phone will still not reset and I have tried all 3 options

If not even the alternative option works, contact your local Nokia Care center.
yes thanks, now my Nokia lumia 620 is back on line. bless
yes thanks, now my Nokia lumia 620 is back on line. bless

Glad it helped you! Make sure you click the "Me too" button in the page header to show that you found it helpful.
I have samsung ativ s ..struck with the same issue ...any solution to get it resolved ?

What version of Windows Phone is your Samsung on?

How long has it been spinning?

The last option worked in my Lumia 520, thanks.
I have tried all 3 options but always filed. what can i do now?

Thanks
cjakash

** Moderator edit: Removed ad url **