NOKIA 1520 - Apps stopped connecting and AT&T or T-mobile can't explain why or fix it

My Nokia 1520 had worked fine for years with MS OneDrive, Office 365 WORD & EXCEL, Skype, Facebook, etc. and then a few months back I noticed my phone signal bar was weak and sometimes no signal. I had tried connecting with my Apps for a few months, but would always get a message "can't connect right now, try again later or check your settings. Figured it must be my setting had changed somehow, maybe from an update.
Finally, I went to my service provider, AT&T and they replaced the SIM card, but no change in signal and my App connections still were not working.

Online tech support had me fill in the SIM APN information manually, but made no difference. Did a soft reboot, but still no change. Then I did a hard reset and reloaded my Apps. But when I tried to download my contacts from OneDrive, I couldn't get Onedrive to connect. Skype, facebook, Office Excel or Word wouldn't connect either. And CORTANA works intermittently.
Can anyone explain why my phone apps stopped working and the the signal strength suddenly reduced? Yes, took it to fix it store near AT&T provder at their suggestion and the tech said everything was working as it should. He said It's a service provider issue, because I had a signal in his shop and he said AT&T is a dead spot for most customers. Proof the phone got good reception.

I can't help but think of what APPLE had done to their customers to get them to buy new phones, not knowing they had had their phones slowed down with an update. . . uh to save their batteries? My phone worked fine will all APPS and suddenly nothing works and by service signal goes bad. 
Changed to T-Mobile and no better! No change. Same ole can't connect right now, try again later or check your settings of all apps.

My phone s up to date running Windows 10. It's been a great phone! Takes great pictures just fine and Cortana worked great! 
Did I mention I'm now receiving text messages for me to by a new phone?

Question Info

Last updated March 11, 2019 Views 86 Applies to:

Hello James,

The signal issue that you are experiencing with your Lumia 1520 may be hardware related. It is possible that the antenna is already defective which is why you are having connectivity issues when using your mobile provider data connection service.

By the way, dead spot in terms of mobile service providers means it doesn't have good reception. Since you have changed service providers and the issue is still the same, it reinforced my hypothesis that the issue is hardware related.

Please try to resolve the issue by doing the following:

1. Use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to restore your phone back to its factory settings. This means that your phone will be degraded to the Windows Phone 8.1 operating system.
  2. After successfully using the said tool, upgrade your phone again to the Windows 10 Mobile operating system using the Upgrade Advisor app.
  3. Use your mobile service provider's mobile data again to test if the issue got resolved.
  4. If the issue persists, please get in touch with B2X Support. They investigate what's wrong with your phone and can assist you with repairs.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Joe, Thank You for your time to respond.
However, everything mentioned in your reply was tested and tried many times in many ways possible.  The reception/ signal was fine and not the issue. Even though, my at&t provider signal where I live had in fact changed to barely 2 bars and sometimes 1. Which of course, forced me to change providers. Evidently for whatever reasons, at&t lost the ability in my area to provide the strong signal they had for years prior.
That being the first time in over 50 years of using at&t I had a problem with service they couldn't fix.
And as to 4. of your suggestions, I will look into the B2X Support fix.    

Thank You    Best Regards, James

Sorry this didn't help.

Joe, Went to the B2X Support Site. Unfortunately my search for answers were made mute by getting too many generally related results into the thousands. I tried for a few minutes to see how best to refine my search results as specifically as I could make them to eliminate all of the extemporaneous results. Simply said, I was unprepared to spend the time scrolling through pages of results in search of my specific issue. 
But I had long ago gone to the Windows Forum and found that my issue was a wide spread common one related to the fact that the Nokia 1520 phone made in conjunction with Microsoft was a device Microsoft stopped supporting when their business collaboration together ended.
As a result, the phones operating system no longer was being supported, updated and maintained.  As a result, I suspect this was the reason for the phones apps to all stop working. As in, Skype, MS Office 365, etc... 
At&t did try swapping out the Sim card and their support looked online when I was there and found the same thing as I had. People with Nokia 1520 phones had stopped working and rendering them useless. Although not completely useless. We can still use the camera, recorder, calculator and play a few games. Well until they needed updates.
My Nokia 1520 phone was the best phone I had ever owned and it served me well. Unfortunately, it was made obsolete before it's time.

Sorry this didn't help.