Photos disappeared from Lumia 950

Yesterday I took almost 100 pictures of a work christmas party using my Lumia 950 with latest Windows 10 installed.

When I woke up this morning, two of these photos remain, and the rest have disappeared from all locations (Phone, OneDrive), and I cannot find them.

Any ideas as to why they've gone, where they've gone, and whether there's a way to recover?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2020 Views 2,510 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Morgan,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the photos were missing from the device. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, I would like to know where you have saved the images. Is it in the phone memory or the SD card?

I suggest you to restart the device and check if it helps.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to connect the device to the computer and check if you are able to access the photos.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Krishna,

All elements apart from the applications have been set to store on the SD card.

I took the SD card out and put it in my Surface and can see that the files are not on there (other than the 2), I've also noticed that a bunch of videos that I had copied earlier in the week have also disappeared.

The point here is that the photos should be backing up to OneDrive automatically, but clearly that's only happened for 2, and for whatever reason, the phone has removed the remaining photographs.  Unless there is an "undelete" option or there is some logging that is able to tell what caused the issue, I'm guessing that my photos are gone.

The problem here is that now I have no faith that the device will actually retain any photos I store, and that is a huge part of why I have the phone.

The phone ran out of battery last night and was plugged in around 02:57am, at which point I believe is where the images disappeared.

What's my next steps to investigate?

Cheers,

Morgan

Sorry this didn't help.

anyone find a resolution???   its happened to me three times.

first time on the Lumia 950 storage drive, then I tested on SD card .  confirmed for me its not backup, or cloud storage. I thought it was syncing with my laptop but nothing is on my windows10 laptop either. also tested my music folder and they also vanished. The folders are intact, the files are all gone. removed SDcard and inserted directly into laptop, folders are there files are not.

Sorry this didn't help.

anyone find a resolution???   its happened to me three times.

first time on the Lumia 950 storage drive, then I tested on SD card .  confirmed for me its not backup, or cloud storage. I thought it was syncing with my laptop but nothing is on my windows10 laptop either. also tested my music folder and they also vanished. The folders are intact, the files are all gone. removed SDcard and inserted directly into laptop, folders are there files are not.

Yep.  Superb.  I feared as much.  Exact same problem on my Lumia 950.  I've just been on 4 days of beautiful holiday taking photos and videos.  Some of which I have shared on facebook or sent as attachments. Ive reviewed my daily footage most evenings and its all been there.  The only photos and videos I have now are some random ones in the last 24 hours..  My phone is set to store everything on the 64 GB micro SD Card.

Like you I've also taken the micro SD card out of the phone and done a full search on a computer.  There are no pictures or videos prior to the last 24 hours.

This would be funny if it wasn't so xxxxx.  And to think I said to my wife lets not take the camera I can use my nice new Lumia 950 its got a professional camera!  A professional camera that just deletes your photos after 24 hours.  Fantastic.

What do I do now?  4 Days of photos and videos,,, just gone.  Without even an error.

I don't trust the thing to take any photos or videos anymore.  Do I go back to the 920 and get a refund?

Sorry this didn't help.

I never actually found a solution! Ended up removing the SD card and haven't put it back in since, haven't lost any photos while on the phone storage (to my knowledge)..

I used some restore software on the SD card to get my images back (Active@ File Recovery), if you've not used the SD much since it'll work a treat.

It's a real shame - I've heard a lot about that if the SD card has issues (i.e. fragmented, old, or faulty) that this happens, but I think it's too common for that to be the case, and I've never had an issue with my SD card.

Sad that MS haven't responded properly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well the good news is I think I've recovered all the JPGs and am now trying to recover the MP4s.

I took the Micro SD Card out of the 950 as soon as I realised what was going on.  Tonight (Back home) I ran it thru the Sandisk RescuePRO Deluxe software that you can download and activate for free with some SANDisk cards.

It took an hour and a half for 64GB but found heaps of "removed files"

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 950 has a problem with the 64GB SANdisk Extreme that the Phone OS never reported, and that the files were in some kind of buffer/processing state.  I turned my phone off to save battery every now and then.  So I am guessing that's what's scrubbed the files.  Only a guess mind you. 

The card was an NTFS formatted 64GB drive on my Surface Pro 3, that I did a quick reformat on before I put it in the 950.  I'm wondering if that caused the incompatibility.

Why no error at all is the bit that gets me.

Trying to get the MP4s but they seem to be corrupt.  See if I can find some way to "reconstitute them"

Suspect problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem over here. I removed a picture, nothing happens, second time I tried to remove the same picture I get an exception. Result: picture isn't removed, but all movies are lost. Luckily, I made some backups. I tried this three times, every time I get the same result. The sdcard is FAT32 formatted. 

Greets

Sorry this didn't help.

I mentioned that my card was NTFS formatted on a Surface before I put it in the phone. 

Well I reformatted the card from within Storage Sense on the actual phone.  Since then I have not (Fingers crossed) had any issues.  I only have Music and Pictures to the SD card. Everything else is still in the phones storage.  Will comeback if I have any anomalies.

Never got my videos back. I have the raw files and I tried a couple of MP4 fix utilities but no go. 

Cheers 

Sorry this didn't help.

And Microsoft doesn't care. I am planning to return that useless phone because of the same problem. It has deleted my photos during the night time.I have never seen that kind of problems in phone for that price.

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same problem too.

Lumia 950 Sandisk Ultra 64GB.

Very disappointed.

Sorry this didn't help.