Question

Q: Lack of App Support From Companies

First let me preface this thread by saying I am a huge Microsoft supporter and fan and will always be.

I have been part of the Windows Phone family since its inception with WP7 and have had the Samsung Focus and now currently possess the a WP8 or Lumia 920 to be more specific. I also have a Surface tablet which I enjoy very much. The one thing I find in common with the family of new Microsoft products is just the lack of application support.

It really frustrates me when I see an add or a commercial advertising a brand new app for a product or service and the only options are for android and iOS devices. For the apps we do have, we see an ongoing lack of support for popular apps like, twitter, facebook, and games. Because Windows Phone is still considered a new platform, I understand it is going to take some time to get the more popular apps to the stores. Over the last year or so to help bring some of the more prevalent apps to the W8 store, Microsoft has been paying companies to develop for their OS and when the app is completed, that company just forgets about the app and focuses more on their iOS and Android versions because they know it has a larger market share and the apps stay unsupported for large time frames.

Everyday I check the marketplace to see if any new apps or updates came and I see nothing but more and more complaints in app review sections asking why W8 apps are so outdated compared to iOS and android versions of the same app; sometimes the WP8 app can be 3 or more versions behind its counterparts.

I challenge Microsoft to ask companies to stop forgetting about WP8 and actually maintain updates to their applications and provide new mainstream ones that we have yet to see on WP. Below I have compiled a list of popular applications that are only available to iOS and Android markets and also a separate list for applications that have not seen an update in ages.

Not Yet Available to WP8 Users

Hulu+

Instagram (no official one)

Pandora (I know it's coming)

Snapchat

Spotify

Temple Run

U.S Bank

VLC

Wells Fargo

World of Warcraft Mobile Armory

WWE App

Apps That Need Desperate Updates

Facebook

Twitter

YouTube 

(Many Games)

Obviously I could go on and on but those lists I felt included Apps we can all agree need to come to WP8. My goal for Microsoft is to make sure every single one of the apps listed comes to WP8 and more, and that they will be fully supported in the long run.

P.S - As a side note, how come we are not able to buy/stream movies and TV shows to our phones from the Xbox store but we can on our tablets?

Answer

A:

I completely echo your sentiments regarding apps on both Windows Phone 8 and Surface platforms.

But, I beleive that consumers have a voice and should use it.  People should be contacting the companies directly and demanding apps to be made on the MS platforms.

Pete

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,352 Last updated: February 21, 2018 Applies to: