HERE Maps disappeared from the store?

Hi,

This is weird. I am using a Lumia 920 with WP8, everything was fine with HERE. A couple days ago -no updates or anything- the app crashes on launch. I decided today to delete it and reinstall it, no biggie been there done that.

Except that HERE Maps is not in the store. At all. Not in my purchase history either. Even worse, if I go to the HERE website and click the Windows Phone icon, it sends me to the Microsoft web store where I see the app but the "Get The App" button is grey and doesn't work!

What. Is. Going. On????? Thank you.

edit: my 620 on WP8 has HERE Maps and it works perfectly...

Question Info

Last updated February 18, 2019 Views 1,365 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Since here maps was released on Android I've noticed that they haven't been updating the apps as often I contacted them on Twitter about their windows phone apps to receive no reply, fortunately the maps on windows 10 look to have most of the features that here maps had that people liked unfortunately it looks like the 920 or 620 won't be getting the windows 10 update.
No longer active user, will not reply to direct replies.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Have an older link but it is still there for 8.1.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/here-maps/9wzdncrfhw6d

Lumia 1520.3 Surface RT

Sorry this didn't help.

I won't be jumping on Windows 10 anytime soon so it's OK. I just want my current app to work as it did.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not on 8.1 and don't plan to upgrade. I'm totally sick of the update/things don't work anymore/are completely changed game. I have contacted HERE, thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I’m dealing with the same issue. Recently I bought a cheap WP to play around with (Yezz Billy 4.7.) One of the things I wanted it for was for navigation. I’d used HERE! Maps on a half a dozen devices previously including another WP, various Windows tablets and my Android 4.x phone and tablet. So I *assumed* that installing such a very familiar app on a new Windows device (the company that bought HERE! and Nokia) would be a cinch.

Not quite.

Like you I went to the Windows App Store only to find no trace of an app I was quite familiar with. Did I mis-type the name? It’s the kind of thing that makes one pause and wonder if he’s crazy….. No really, there was an app in the store- I’ve downloaded it half a dozen times… I swear! I did searches on the web that eventually led to a link that showed that such an app was once in the store as noted here.

As a test I opened HERE! on my Surface RT- then uninstalled it and tried reinstalling. There was no warning when I uninstalled that the APP would be gone forever. And there was no indication that there ever was an app called HERE! or at least the one we are talking about here.

I just checked Google Play Store and HERE! is still up and available for Android users.

There’s been a lot of criticism of the Windows App Store selection in the past. Could this be a misdirected way to hide the lack of apps by not acknowledging their disappearance? But I can’t figure out why maps from a company that MS bought would disappear anyhow?! I had a similarly weird and unpleasant experience with another app I purchased ($6?) from the Windows store stopped working. I figured like you I’d just uninstall it and reinstall it only to find it had disappeared from the store and I couldn’t. Not to say that it’s an excuse, but turns out that app (by a third party) was made obsolete by changes to Google’s API. But it took me hours to figure out what the *fudge* happened.

I have no idea why HERE! is no longer available. But MS would be well advised to be honest with their customers. Instead of deleting links to apps, they need to come up with an ethical and logical way to deal with such issues. If there really is a good reason to remove an app like HERE! from the store, they need to 1) Warn users that when they uninstall the app will be gone for good, 2) leave a placeholder up in searches stating the app is no longer available with a reason.

MS also really needs to crack down on the many deceptive apps in the store. In trying to find a HERE! replacement, I ran into a few really strange apps that appeared to attempt to trick users into thinking that they were downloading official apps by MS or other companies. For example there’s a bunch of apps simply called “maps” and one uses virtually the same icon and the same title as an MS app but is **** and fills the full screen full of ads after a few uses. I also downloaded two apps named “Booking” 1 2. They use the logo of the travel site I’ve used before. But neither is actually affiliated with the actual site. One of the apps hides that by displaying the Booking. is an unofficial app and is not endorsed by Booking.com. All data feeds provided with kind permission from Booking.com public feeds. All rights reserved.  only after you click on the “more info” button (even though the above line is only two short sentences. The Windows App store is full of this stuff, making it nearly impossible to weed through real apps and intellectual property theft.

(I’ve been working on a bad pun to cover this exact circumstance)

Remember the Yogi Berra line, “Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded” and Gertrude Stein’s (in reference to Oakland) “There’s no there there”?

How about: “Nobody goes to the Windows App Store, there’s no HERE! there” ;-)

HERE! Maps for Life (Screenshot) Ironically their tag line is "HERE! For Life"

HERE! in the Windows RT App Store (Screenshot)

HERE! in the Windows RT App Store "No Longer Available" (Screenshot)

(not really) Booking.com app basic info (screenshot)

(not really) Booking.com app more info (screenshot)

Sorry this didn't help.

Chill

There was a recent update to Here apps and there was a problem with it. The HEAR team pulled it form the store.

technical glitch, we are working returning them as soon as possible

https://twitter.com/jeresuikkila/status/645644317382479872

Developers control their apps in the store,

Lumia 1520.3 Surface RT

Sorry this didn't help.

Before Microsoft bought Nokia the company was split into different sections, there were loads of sections but two of them were mobile devices and navigation, Microsoft bought the mobile devices section so the navigation section isn't owned by Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't remove apps unless completely necessary any app that is removed from the store is most likely by the developer, when a developer submits an app it goes through checking, one of these is to test whether any APIs that have been used address used correctly however it can't check the name then check to see if its associated with a similar manner on the internet, the only way around this is bad reviews.
No longer active user, will not reply to direct replies.

Sorry this didn't help.

Might it not make sense that apps we've "purchased" remain in the store ? From the consumer's perspective we are left in a very odd position. Back in the day, we bought tangible disks - if we had a computer problem or the company went out of business, we could go back to our installation disks. Sure it was always possible that our old disks would be incompatible or outdated. But we theoretically could always install what we purchased and decide ourselves if a program was still suitable for use. If it was gone it was because we couldn't find the disks. We've been asked to "trust" the Microsoft app store and others when we purchase. We aren't given the option to make a backup of the install of WP apps (as far as I know at least.) Frankly WP appears to be in a death spiral and these store issues just seem to reaffirm lay users assumptions that WP is joining RT in retirement.

Why should a WP user have to search the store for something that we previously purchased only to find no trace, then do web searches, then post to a MS board to find the answer was posted on Twitter?! Like why not skip all those steps and have a page that pops up with a status message where we expect to see the app? Another comparison to the analog world, if I walk up to my corner shop and the doors are shuttered for a week I assume they went out of business. I don't expect to do a search of Twitter and go online to discuss what happened to it. If the owners went on vacation, they put a sign in the window. Or?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's been over three days. Maps are kind of a big deal on a phone, it's probably one of the most used app. Still not available.

I try to go to here.com on my phone. It sends me to share.here.com which asks me if I want to download an app (???), if I say no nothing happens. If I say yes it sends me to download a Russian app or Gmaps.

I mean, seriously? It's a crucial app on a phone, it's been a flagship app for WP and this is what happens when a glitch happens in the store? What kind of glitch is that??

I contacted HERE of course, they confirmed the issue yesterday. It's super weird to have an app that is fine, use it for years, something happens and it totally disappears from a platform. It really doesn't make me want to trust anyone in the store.

Sorry this didn't help.

An app developer can remove an app from the store at their discretion, whether the app is free or not.  Microsoft has no control over this. 

The phone will only install apps that are currently in the store and with the current version.  To let users download paid app install files the developers and Microsoft would have to 'trust' users not to share the files. How far would that go?

There are other mapping apps in the store.

If you have a feature suggestion speak up at Windows Phone Feature Suggestion Box,

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/site/signin

Lumia 1520.3 Surface RT

Sorry this didn't help.